PDA

View Full Version : GMail and Ubuntu

hkarn
December 9th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Hi,

I just switched to linux yesterday to use it on my netbook.
I have Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.10

I found an app Gmail Notifer that will put my new unread gmails in the message notification area and turn the icon green when there are new message.

I wonder if it is possible to integrate it more or clean up the message menu. Now there are option there Mail, Compose New Message and Contacts.

They do nothing now ... I think I uninstalled evolution.

Is it possible to have those options setup to that they open my Gmail inbox, Gmail new message and Google contacts in a browser window? And if not is it possible to remove them?
Also handling of mailto: links in Google Chrome.

Another quick question: Where do I configure autostart. It seems neither Gmail Notfier or Pigdin starts automatically when Ubuntu is launched.

Thank you for the assistance.

sp-1070
December 9th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Hi
i also have a netbook and i will tell you now.
Remove it netbook remix its no good.
Just install either ubuntu 10.10 desktop version or pinguy wich makes it look and feel like a mac but still is ubuntu 10.10

save youreself

hkarn
December 9th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I like this interface on my tiny thingy. But I guess you can run the desktop edition from a usb stick to check it out before installing too? Maybe I should do that and compare before I get too settled in.

I think I found the autostart manager and the apps btw. But nothing on proper web based gmail integration...

edit:
It could be vastly improved with an auto-hide for the launch manager or a F-key to turn the UI on and off though ... I found something on that but it seemed pretty complex doing.