PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can ssh/sftp etc but can't use firefox/chrome?

pjlfield
December 9th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Hi all,

I am struggling with what I think is a very strange issue (however my networking experience is quite limited).

We are running Ubuntu 10.04 on a new workstation, and are having troubles with the internet connection. It was working for some time, then, without any memorable changes, no longer connects to the internet through firefox/chrome etc... The connection itself seems fine, as we can ssh/sftp/ping other computers around the building. Perhaps it is an issue with html? I am out of ideas, so any help would be much appreciated - Thanks!!!

-Peter

pjlfield
December 10th, 2010, 03:28 PM
back to the top

pjlfield
December 10th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Additional information:

It now appears that HTTP is probably not the issue. I can connect to some sites through their IP addresses (e.g. google ip 72.14.213.147). However, connecting to www.google.com still does not work. Does this sound like a DNS issue?

pjlfield
December 11th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Solved! Turns out the computer was not getting the proper DNS locations from /etc/resolv.conf. No idea how this file was edited (there were only two lines in the file), but giving it appropriate DNS IP's for my location fixed all the issues.