PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 8.10 not updating anymore?

Dsky
December 9th, 2010, 01:16 AM
i get errors trying to upgrade ubuntu 8.10

why

Quackers
December 9th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Not any more. I think it ended in April iirc.

Dsky
December 9th, 2010, 02:41 AM
uhm....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1333275

You cannot;or you have to downgrade xorg..ATI stopped support for "old" cards since 9.04.If you want fglrx you have to choose ubuntu 8.10.
Which runs perfectly...

so there's another newer distribution where ati x700 drivers works?!

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 9th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Ubuntu 8.10 will not update any longer. The support for that version ended on 30 April 2010. You need to upgrade to another supported version if you want updates. If you want to stay with the LTS versions, upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Dsky
December 9th, 2010, 02:56 AM
ehm.. did you read my last post?

ps. so there's no way to update it manually? i can't even change the language

Decatf
December 9th, 2010, 03:02 AM
There may be another distro but keep in mind to continue using the last version of fglrx that supports your graphics card the system will require using old versions of components including an old X graphics stack and kernel. This usually means using an old version of the distro or a highly customized version of one. THat's why the last post in the thread you linked mentions that it won't work on recent versions of Ubuntu without some "extreme hacking".

The open source radeon driver is much better right now than the legacy fglrx anyways. Aside from the raw 3D performance the open source radeon driver has a number of advantages over legacy fglrx.. there is KMS, vsync, power management, continued developemtn and support.

Dsky
December 9th, 2010, 03:08 AM
so what should i do..

even if the x700 is quite old the notebook (toshiba m40-282) isn't...

give me some advices... keep using newer releases without any effect? (neither "normal")

im trying all

Decatf
December 9th, 2010, 03:24 AM
I suggest trying a live cd of a more recent Ubuntu version.

Like I said the open source radeon driver has improved a lot over the legacy fglrx driver. Unless this is a gaming system the radeon driver runs much better.

Dsky
December 9th, 2010, 03:26 AM
i cant use 10.04 without setting the effects in the Aspect window to None (or nothing, i dont know in english), setting normal all the pc is slow.
I tried installing 10.10 but it doesn't even start... i see only a black screen after the boot...
I tried Fedora 14 too and like ubuntu 9.10 is all fast except in flash stuff but glxgears slow down all the notebook

Dsky
December 9th, 2010, 12:11 PM
at least is possible to change language or update something manually?

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 10th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Forget it. I deleted my response. I have read other posts by the OP and choose not to get involved in this thread due to what I perceive as a language or cultural barrier.