PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] No Sound - old IBM R51 ThinkPad

jhaensly
December 8th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I recently installed XUbuntu onto an old ThinkPad that was lying around. I managed to get everything working but the sound. The sound worked in XP, so it's not a hardware issue. One website (http://www.linlap.com/wiki/ibm-lenovo+thinkpad+r51)recommended the snd-intel8x0 module, but that seems to be running:

~$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
snd_intel8x0 25588 7

If it's helpful:

~$ uname -a
Linux eve 2.6.32-26-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 24 09:00:03 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

~$ lspci | grep audio
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)

If anyone has a suggestion, I'm at work and could really use some music :-P

boggie105
December 22nd, 2010, 10:27 PM
Jhaensly, I recently installed Ubuntu on my IBM R51 and the sound was working but now seems to have stopped working. Did you find a fix for this?

Also - Have you had trouble with your forward slash key? Mine does not work but Shift + forward slash does make the question mark..... What keyboard layout are you using?

- Boggie

jhaensly
December 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I did, but hell if I know how. I must have tried half a dozen different fixes posted in the forums or old wiki pages without success, then, after a restart, the sound started working again. The volume controls on the keyboard work but the software doesn't see them (so I can change the volume on the keyboard and the volume sliders on the sound control panel stay 100%), which is annoying but not annoying enough for me to keep messing with it.

I wish I had a better answer for you. Good luck.