PDA

View Full Version : What do you think ChromeOS will need to succeed?

madjr
December 8th, 2010, 09:27 PM
ok, i'll start.

personally i think that chromeOS has a few areas of big benefit to us:

-Quality html5 web apps that will feel much more like native apps and even integrated (web 3.0). If you ever tried jolicloud, its main UI, built in chromium/html5 feels really native (fast, responsive and pretty).

-Lots of support for the Linux Kernel, that we've never seen before. More / better drivers. More hardware support. More influence on OEMs.

-Great dev of chromium browser / chromium OS. Which google is already promoting (http://www.google.com/chromeos/features.html)

With this in mind i want the chromeOS/linux/opensource/html5 combination to succeed (or at least to open us some doors.).

For that to happen i think they need a few things:

-enough html5 and chrome apps ready and that feel well integrated.

-Low cost laptops / netbooks (sub $200). If possible ARM smartbooks too.

-Deals with ISPs (2 for 1 specials, free with plan, etc.)

-Onlive app for hd gaming

If the price is right and has enough functional apps by release, i think it could be the catalyst for a new era.

and Ubuntu is not going anywhere, it will just benefit from this, opening those doors as well as for the kernel. Windows is the only one that may take a hit (maybe not right away, but soon). Will force msft to start moving to the cloud where they dont have as much power as they do now.

While it matters a lot, I dont expect it to fully succeed in the first release, but if they stay in the game long enough and push for they will.

ps. For those who dont remember chrome OS well heres an overview (these section may be constantly updated):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QRO3gKj3qw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANMrzw7JFzA (2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjb5kFLOz_Q (2010!)

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/more/webstore.html (improved web store and web apps)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKaJ6jEPXGE (unity 3d games for chrome)

web store overview:
http://lifehacker.com/5708457/google-launches-the-chrome-web-store-and-updates-chrome?skyline=true&s=i

Spice Weasel
December 8th, 2010, 09:38 PM
To succeed, Google will need to abandon all previous ideas they had for it, drop the cloud and drop the only-a-web-browser philosophy.

smellyman
December 8th, 2010, 09:40 PM
To succeed, Google will need to abandon all previous ideas they had for it, drop the cloud and drop the only-a-web-browser philosophy.

^this

As of now it will not succeed.

madjr
December 8th, 2010, 09:50 PM

why? they already have native chrome apps in the market.

many of the apps can work offline too.

if they keep it up, those apps can feel as good as the native ones we use now, which will be a huge thing for the future of the web (web 3.0).

Paqman
December 8th, 2010, 09:52 PM

Hmm, we'll see. I'm of the opinion that there's at least a certain percentage of the market who would be quite happy with a device like that. I'd imagine Google would have hard numbers to back that up from their market research.

Computing is changing. Google are taking a bit of a gamble with ChromeOS, but it's still waaaaay too early to say whether it will or won't succeed. A lot depends on the hardware they launch with, how they market it and what price point they aim for.

smellyman
December 8th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Tiny Core >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ChromeOS

madjr
December 8th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Tiny Core >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ChromeOS

yes, that exactly what the avg. user is looking for :rolleyes:

Gremlinzzz
December 8th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I like owning my computer and choosing any OS I want.
I like that freedom. I don't want to be Googlized!

madjr
December 8th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I like owning my computer and choosing any OS I want.
I like that freedom. I don't want to be Googlized!

is based on chromiumOS and you can install / uninstall it just like any other distro.

Simian Man
December 8th, 2010, 11:13 PM
-Lots of support for the Linux Kernel, that we've never seen before. More / better drivers.
They don't need more or better Linux drivers, they just need it to work well on the hardware they ship it on. No operating system that users have to install themselves will gain widespread acceptance.

Just because you won't like something doesn't mean it won't be successful. Everyone here railed on the iPad when it came out, but that didn't stop it from being quite a success.

lancest
December 9th, 2010, 05:32 AM
They are doing just what they need to do to differentiate themselves from traditional desktop computing.

IMHO it's very difficult to compete effectively with the entrenched desktop player(s) without radical innovation. Those guys don't play fair anyway.

There is some risk involved, but based on how well Android is doing Chromium OS uptake success could be just around the corner.

madhi19
December 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM
It likely that Google does not really care to sell their own ChromeOS Netbooks. What they want is for hardware makers to do it for them. They want the platform with none of the risk of selling the hardwares.

if4124l
December 9th, 2010, 02:21 PM
THey perhaps could implement features present in Sugar (The os on XOs @ laptop.org ) such as mesh networking, collaboration, etc and with facebook integration, it would be good for social stuff.

madjr
December 9th, 2010, 02:51 PM
from what i can see here, i think web apps are finally going to get a good boost:

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/more/webstore.html

madjr
December 9th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Unity engine 3d games coming to chromeOS store and possibly to linux as well through chrome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKaJ6jEPXGE

jfreak_
December 9th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Well, its highly unlikely Google would launch such a massive move without doing their homework. (Discounting Google Wave, but that wasn't even close to ChromeOS in magnitude)

Zzl1xndd
December 9th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I don't think ChromeOS will be for everyone but there are a lot of people I think it will be great for.

My Parents, My Grandparents and My Sister come to mind. They all use their computer for IM, Banking and Social networking. Very little else and With Google Docs the Little else is taken care of.

Also I think this might be great for Businesses if it was ever offered on a Thin Client like setup. No more imaging etc, and if I was unable to make it into work due to snow etc. I would be able to login from home without the need for a VPN.

kaldor
December 9th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I don't think ChromeOS will be for everyone but there are a lot of people I think it will be great for.

My Parents, My Grandparents and My Sister come to mind. They all use their computer for IM, Banking and Social networking. Very little else and With Google Docs the Little else is taken care of.

Also I think this might be great for Businesses if it was ever offered on a Thin Client like setup. No more imaging etc, and if I was unable to make it into work due to snow etc. I would be able to login from home without the need for a VPN.

+1

It's definately not for me, but it'd be of great use for people who only really use the web. Even then, I wouldn't use it as a Desktop OS outside of a netbook or maybe laptop.

HappinessNow
December 9th, 2010, 04:02 PM
They don't need more or better Linux drivers, they just need it to work well on the hardware they ship it on. No operating system that users have to install themselves will gain widespread acceptance.

Just because you won't like something doesn't mean it won't be successful. Everyone here railed on the iPad when it came out, but that didn't stop it from being quite a success.Good points.

If the overwhelming success of the Android OS is any indicator of success for the Chrome OS; Google will produce another winning OS for the masses. :p

madjr
December 9th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Good points.

If the overwhelming success of the Android OS is any indicator of success for the Chrome OS; Google will produce another winning OS for the masses. :p

its not just a successful OS, but the success of the internet / cloud / html5 apps / open source. Is the real push for web 3.0 and 4.0

Open source can be successful if marketed right.

Everyone is to benefit here (well maybe not so much msft if they try to keep fighting it , instead of embracing..).

dh04000
December 9th, 2010, 06:43 PM
its not just a successful OS, but the success of the internet / cloud / html5 apps / open source. Is the real push for web 3.0 and 4.0

Open source can be successful if marketed right.

Everyone is to benefit here (well maybe not so much msft if they try to keep fighting it , instead of embracing..).

I think we should embrace it. These web apps are basically completely open because they are on the web. Also, aren't the chrome web api opensource and available?

I think firefox, and opera should make use of the chrome OS store. Other technologies like KDE's plasmoids could also turn the apps into widgets and integrate into the OS.

I definitely think it would be a crime if Jolicloud and Webconverger did not take advantage of google's ground work. They are both web/web-browser based just like ChromeOS is.

PhenixRising
December 9th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure if I despise Google, Apple or Microsoft more.

However this new google OS could work because a lot of people only use their computers to check social network, IM, and look at the web. I'm going out on a thin ledge here but IMHO most people who are not in school do not even really need an office suite. Hell this even applies to me.

And I'm a bit paranoid but would ChromeOS place people into a confined internet environment? Google already stores my search data that is when I'm too lazy to change my search engine.

Wouldn't we voluntarily give them even more data on our behavior? Its kind of like an Uber Facebook.

MooPi
December 9th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Speed will determine it's fate. Face it most folks log on to check email and shop and Facebook, and those stupid Facebook games. If it's as fast as they claim and people can carry a small netbook/tablet around that is fast and portable, it's a winner. It's linked heavily to verizon for on the go computing. personally I'd consider this as an alternative to a smart phone for plenty of situations. I'm all thumbs when it comes to smart phones and a nice keypad would be welcome.

BigCityCat
December 9th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I have to wonder if this exposure of the Linux kernel will open Linux up to more attacks from the malware makers. I mean if Google os does gain popularity.

madjr
December 10th, 2010, 12:06 AM
And I'm a bit paranoid but would ChromeOS place people into a confined internet environment? Google already stores my search data that is when I'm too lazy to change my search engine.

Wouldn't we voluntarily give them even more data on our behavior? Its kind of like an Uber Facebook.

not really. Actually you can say iOS is a lot more confined right now than what chromeOS will be.

Their netbooks are even "jail-broken" and let you do what ever you want, even install other OSs.

They dont care that much for the OS as long as web apps get that big push they desperately have waited for so long to compete with native apps.

google believes in the open web where everyone can participate, not just a few, they stated so in their last week presentation.

Doctor Mike
December 10th, 2010, 12:08 AM
More private information/money... sorry, same thing...

madjr
December 10th, 2010, 12:12 AM
I have to wonder if this exposure of the Linux kernel will open Linux up to more attacks from the malware makers. I mean if Google os does gain popularity.

not really, one of the main goals is security:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/17/2010/12/security.jpg

check their latest 2010 presentation for details in post #1

PhenixRising
December 10th, 2010, 12:26 AM
not really. Actually you can say iOS is a lot more confined right now than what chromeOS will be.

Their netbooks are even "jail-broken" and let you do what ever you want, even install other OSs.

They dont care that much for the OS as long as web apps get that big push they desperately have waited for so long to compete with native apps.

google believes in the open web where everyone can participate, not just a few, they stated so in their last week presentation.

Thanks for the response. I honestly don't know much about the mobile market. I ditched my cell phone 2 years ago and have not looked back. I do miss it when I'm shopping but thats a small thing.

I'm not a fan of any organization that collects massive amounts of data on its users and I suspect that google will use the ChromeOS to gain even more data about people. However most people do not share my concern so I'd expect Google to come outon top.

I also assumed that ChromeOS would be very similar to iOS. I know that Google likes an open market but I also thought it was in favor of creating a multi-tiered internet.

I really need to learn more about web apps.

phrostbyte
December 10th, 2010, 12:44 AM
More HTML5 web apps that support offline mode. Thousands more.

inobe
December 10th, 2010, 02:23 AM

all it needs is a web browser and an ability to run most apps in it.

people don't care about desktops, at least those that just want to check mail, message, collaborate, social networking, and web browsing, if it starts straight to a browser even better for those crowds.

of course many will say it lacks a desk, well that's the crowd that will stick with various platforms.

a plain netbook with a desktop is almost useless because it lacks the performance for many applications installable, no one will use it to author dvd, transcode media, edit video etc... besides a lot of these things can be done online.

youtube converts videos automatically, image hosting sites have editing tools.

unknownPoster
December 10th, 2010, 04:32 AM
It doesn't need anything it doesn't already have. It has Google, and all it's financial resources, behind it along with the power associated with the name.

madjr
December 10th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I'm not a fan of any organization that collects massive amounts of data on its users and I suspect that google will use the ChromeOS to gain even more data about people. However most people do not share my concern so I'd expect Google to come outon top.

they added an "incognito" mode built into the OS/browser, for people concern about privacy. It does not store any information.

The guest login is also incognito by default.

I think they though about almost everything.

weasel fierce
December 10th, 2010, 08:34 PM
It'll cover the exact things the majority of people use their computers for. And it has the name backing of Google

smellyman
December 11th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I'm not sure if I despise Google, Apple or Microsoft more.

for me....Google now is the worst. they now control every aspect of our lives

TheWeakSleep
December 11th, 2010, 01:27 AM

No, they do not.

weasel fierce
December 11th, 2010, 03:37 AM
I just had a sandwich even though Google didn't want me to

lancest
December 11th, 2010, 04:57 AM

Two things I know of to keep in mind.

1. Security vulnerabilities are patched very quickly in Open Source/Linux kernel.
(not dependent on waiting for just one company to react and patch)

2. Changing kernels is often simple.

Actually I'm not completely sure how this will apply to Chromium or Android though.

PhenixRising
December 13th, 2010, 08:21 PM

I would not go that far. No one controls every aspect of our lives. Even the major banks lack that ability. Google and/or Facebook would love to gain control over a majority of web traffic and by extension advertisement on the web.

Choice is not an illusion....

PhenixRising
December 13th, 2010, 08:23 PM
they added an "incognito" mode built into the OS/browser, for people concern about privacy. It does not store any information.

The guest login is also incognito by default.

I think they though about almost everything.

Thats good to know. I do not mind sharing my data. I give access to linux and every open source program I use. I want them to improve their programs even when I'm unable to send a small donation.

I would still avoid using google's OS but its good to know that people will have a choice to block their information from Google.

lancest
December 13th, 2010, 11:28 PM
(BTW Chrome OS is Debian/Ubuntu under the hood.)

What Google is selling is not really Linux.
It's an alternative style of computing.
There will be (hey notice me!) types using Chrome OS who won't even know it's Linux. Just like the guys with Apple notebooks who feel slick.

I find that funny. Glad to be a real nuts & bolts Linux user.

madjr
December 14th, 2010, 03:37 AM
(BTW Chrome OS is Debian/Ubuntu under the hood.)

What Google is selling is not really Linux.
It's an alternative style of computing.
There will be (hey notice me!) types using Chrome OS who won't even know it's Linux. Just like the guys with Apple notebooks who feel slick.

I find that funny. Glad to be a real nuts & bolts Linux user.

the kernel is linux, the filesystem is linux, the browser is open source, will run primarily html5 apps, webM, webGL is open... In what way can cOS become more open than it is? is impossible :o

Oh and i know ubuntu users that dont know they're using linux either (like half my family..). They just find it better than windows.

madjr
December 17th, 2010, 01:15 AM
here is a nice video as to why the network computer concept failed 15 years ago and why today is different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndzOD6GjzfY