PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] feh with no window manager?

photoben
December 8th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Hey there,

I'm taking apart an old (128mb ram, 800ish cpu) laptop to make a diy digital picture frame. Anyway, I was wondering if I could do a command-line install, and install xorg, as shown on this page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems), and then use feh (http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/feh) fullscreen to display images.

Is this possible without a window manager? I'm relatively new to Ubuntu as a desktop system, so am not familiar with the graphical paradigms.

Thanks in advance for any help!

nothingspecial
December 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM
It should be, however I`ve not tried.

You can run a slideshow in the frame buffer though without X using fbi.

It would be easier if all the photos were in the same directory, so

fbi -t n photo_directory/*Where n is the number of second you want each image displayed.

If you wanted to use recursive directories you would have to do something like this

fbi -t n $(find /parent_directory -type f)
but I`ve never tried either -- theory only :D

photoben
December 8th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks. Didn't know about viewing images in the frame buffer, that's pretty cool!

I wonder, though, if I would be able to get transitions (just fade to the next image) using something else—know of anything off-hand?

Yes, they would be in the same directory. I plan on sharing it on our LAN using Samba, for easy access from Windows computers—not worried about security—and with a keystroke that would invoke a script to kill the image viewer and restart it, to get the new images. I assume that wouldn't be too hard.

bdaman80
December 31st, 2010, 05:19 PM
I am working on the same thing. After reading this i can say Feh works with Xorg and no windows manager. But my screen goes into powersaving mode and shuts off. I tried this fix

Setup xorg to not blank screen
# Added custom xorg.conf file ( x -configure ) then saved to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

# This add the following code to your xorg.conf file

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection

and I went from a 5 minute off time to a 45 minute off time. But it still blanks out. Any Ideas?

Im on Ubuntu 10.04 Minimal install

Thanks in advance