PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install from boot but on same partition

electrox73
December 8th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I now that when I run my PC and insert Ubuntu Live CD/DVD it installs it on the same partition, but how can i do this from boot, because I can't boot Windows XP, I installed Puppy Linux so my PC is usable but I need to access the data from Windoink Iws Partition, which I can do from Puppy. But I want to install a "real" OS like Ubuntu but still be able to access Windows XP Partition data. I think it is not possible to access the data from Ubuntu on a seperate partition so they have to be on the same one if I am right.

Just if you wanna know why I can't boot XP???? I get the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!

Regards

matt_symes
December 8th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Hi

I think it is not possible to access the data from Ubuntu on a seperate partition so they have to be on the same one if I am right.

No. You *can* :D access data on different partitions and even on different drives using Ubuntu.

You can install Ubuntu on a separate partition than XP or even a separate drive drive and it will be able to see all the other drives and partitions on your PC.

It might need a small amount of configuration to set it up but people on this forum can help you out.

In any case, if you cannot boot into windows XP, i would back up all your data from that partition before installing another OS. You can do this from a Ubuntu LiveCD or from Puppy.

Kind regards

oldfred
December 8th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Did you have wubi that is inside the windows NTFS partition?

Boot Info Script courtesy of forum member meierfra
Page with instructions and download:
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
Paste results.txt, then highlight entire file and click on # in edit panel(code tags) to make it easier to read.
Or You can generate the tags first by pressing the # icon in the post's menu and then paste the contents between the generated [ code] paste here [ /code] tags.