PDA

View Full Version : Franken Box

Stew2
April 22nd, 2006, 08:19 AM
Well, after having gave away my first Ubuntu box to my Mom and Dad for email and general use, and having Ubuntu despise my 9800 pro video card in my gaming rig I have built a new rig just for Ubuntu. I use the term "new" loosely though because it is almost entirely made up of leftover parts from previous builds and donor machines. Seems to work well other than the onboard sound. I suspect the problem to be a hardware issue though and not Ubuntu. I had problems with the sound in Windows as well (cheap Via board... yech!) The only parts I actually had to buy were a processor and a stick of ram that I got from ebay. This box is actually much faster than my old Ubuntu rig anyway, has at least twice the horsepower. I think that I will just pick up a cheap sound card for the sound. It will be very nice to have a machine just for Ubuntu again instead of dual booting on my gaming rig. Doesnt even look too shabby, its the one closest to the monitor with the blue lights on the sides :) . Not the best pic I know, the flash kind of overexposes everything. Nice to be back! :D

Edit: Specs. Via P4 mobo, intel confidential 2 ghz P4, 512 mb of DDR400 ram, cd-rom, floppy, 20 gig hdd (tiny I know), case with blue leds and window and fan on left side. Basic but adequete :)

imagine
April 22nd, 2006, 02:42 PM
Nice. Does that Canon printer work with Linux?

John.Michael.Kane
April 22nd, 2006, 03:28 PM
@Stew2 intel confidential 2 ghz P4. sounds like you got ahold of an unlocked engineering sample..

Stew2
April 22nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
Nice. Does that Canon printer work with Linux?

I wish, I never got it working right with my old Ubuntu rig so it is connected to my gaming machine (on the right) and prints for my wifes rig (homebuilt as well) and my old laptop (definitely not homebuilt :D ) Lousy Linux support, but a great printer otherwise.

Stew2
April 22nd, 2006, 06:41 PM
@Stew2 intel confidential 2 ghz P4. sounds like you got ahold of an unlocked engineering sample..

Yup :) . I read up on it and the multipliers are supposed to be unlocked. I just got it going last night so I havent had much of a chance to play around with it yet. Not sure what I can all do though as this mobo really sucks. I will never buy another Via board. :)