PDA

View Full Version : Simplifying things around here, need help with my files.

airbag
December 8th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Hey folks! long time lurker, infrequent poster with a question for you.

So im simplifying my file situation... which includes 12 years of MP3's, videos and everything ive done since i was in the 7th grade. minus the occasional failed drive :(

What are the best file formats for videos and music and pictures?

along with my macbook i mostly use 2 android devices frequently (Galaxy Tab and MyTouch 4G) and will be using double twist to manage (aside from transferring files manually). the files will need to be a good balance of quality and size and ability to be played on all these devices.

flac? mp3? ogg? mpeg? avi?

HALP!

Thanks

CharlesA
December 8th, 2010, 03:25 AM
My music library is in MP3, but I've heard ogg has gotten more support lately. Same with flac.

3Miro
December 8th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I prefer .ogg files whenever I can, however, many people have to install extra software to read those under Windows. Also, many devices read mp3 only. The mp3 is the most commonly used format.

Video is more complicated and I know little about the different formats on it. There is an .ogg video format, but it may be even less supported then the sound format. MPEG, AVI and Matrioshka seem the most popular video formats, but I may be wrong.

For pictures, try .png or .jpg, I thinks there are some differences in quality vs size, but both should be OK.

airbag
December 8th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Well that is important because ill be sporting a windows phone 7 device here pretty soon along side my tab. so mp3 would probably be fine but im assuming ogg and flac will be a no no.

airbag
December 9th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Just received that HD7.. bad timing! so far the music experience is flakey though.. probably end up back at android.