PDA

View Full Version : Google handing out free netbooks

bwhite82
December 8th, 2010, 02:54 AM
http://www.google.com/chromeos/static/images/cr48-3.jpg

I received an email today from Google, thusly posted below:

Greetings,

A while back, you signed up to receive news, updates, and launch information about Chrome and Chrome OS. We have good news: Chrome notebooks are here, and you’re eligible to receive one!

Chrome notebooks are for people who live on the web and want a faster, safer and more secure experience without all the headaches of ordinary computers.

To apply to get your Chrome notebook, please provide your US mailing address by clicking the link below no later than Friday, December 10, 2010 at 11:59 PM PST.

Request a Chrome notebook (http://www.google.com/chromeos/pilot-program.html) (I changed the actual link here from the email, as it had a "referrer code" and seemed related to only my email address)

Cheers,
The Chrome team

At first I thought it was some sort of phishing scam but confirmed when I went to their "pilot" webpage. Not everyone who signs up will receive one, they seem to want a good mix of users and profiles.

You need to fill out a survey. At first I thought of keeping quiet about it and thus slightly increasing my odds of getting one, but its just too good to not pass on. Cheers!

ronnielsen1
December 8th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Thanks. I and my little business applied for one too

Brent0
December 8th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Very cool. I bet the chances are very slim though. :o

cgroza
December 8th, 2010, 03:34 AM
I want one too!:?

bwhite82
December 8th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Very cool. I bet the chances are very slim though. :o

Yeah, thats partly what compelled me to post it up. I never have any luck "winning" things and this will be no different.

I should add that since this is an international forum (sometimes I truly forget about the diversity here), it is only available to the US as of right now but they plan on expanding to other countries soon.

Ric_NYC
December 8th, 2010, 03:48 AM
I hope I get one.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6910/screenshot2ia.png

smellyman
December 8th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Free netbook is cool. Chrome OS is lame...

US only :(

zer010
December 8th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I thought about applying and even completed the form in it's entirety, but then I decided i didn't want to freely give Google that much personal information about myself. I'm sure they already have this information, but it's not that I explicitly gave them the right to use it any way they want. ;)

Changturkey
December 8th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Too bad I live in Canada.

inobe
December 8th, 2010, 07:15 AM
i have nothing to hide.

fatality_uk
December 8th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I WANT ONE AGGGGHHHH

http://www.commentsguru.com/images/babies/crying_baby.gif

cascade9
December 8th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Free netbook is cool. Chrome OS is lame...

US only :(

+1 on Chrome OS, and +lots on stupid 'us only' offers.

m4tic
December 8th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I hate US companies, Samsung and LG always push their products quickly in my country.

Johnsie
December 8th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Interesting. I think I'll be checking my email after I post this :-)

Same here with the US companies... Considering boycotting some myself. But I don't want to get into that on here.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
December 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM
i have nothing to hide.

Can I have your home address, full name, social security number, credit card number and ubuntuforums password? And, if you could please post it in the public so other people may benefit from the information as well, since you obviously have nothing to hide.

STOP USING THE 'NOTHING TO HIDE' FALLACY. IT'S JUST NOT TRUE.

Ontopic: I'm not sure I see a use for a netbook that can only run a web browser, and only Chrome at that. I use chromium frequently on my netbook, but Chrome itself is way off my paranoia scale, as is the fact that this netbook is entirely closed and locked down, and has an always-on 3g connection so you can always be tracked. Also, the "people only use their browser 99% of the time" claim by Eric Schmidt is wrong in my case.

ukripper
December 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Is it for US only or applicable for UK too?

NCLI
December 8th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Too bad I live in Canada.

I hate US companies, Samsung and LG always push their products quickly in my country.

I live in Denmark, and I could apply no problem.

In fact, I'd imagine that they'd want people to be in different countries to gather data on the quality of the 3G networks.

drascus
December 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I am looking forward to this. Hopefully I get one and can take it for a test drive. I think giving away a computer is more than incentive to give feedback and help to improve the system.

fatality_uk
December 8th, 2010, 12:22 PM
...So if you live in the United States, are at least 18 years old...
Damn Geography!

NCLI
December 8th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Damn Geography!
I was able to apply despite not living in the states, so try.

stevenroose
December 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I really wanna receive one, but living in Belgium.
Anyone interested in helping me by forwarding it to Belgium?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1640707

fatality_uk
December 8th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I was able to apply despite not living in the states, so try.

I can apply, but I doubt they will accept inquiries outside the US. Ahh well, I have my trusty NC10 :)

MooPi
December 8th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I'll send everyone pictures and slideshows of mine :) . I feel confident !!!!

fatality_uk
December 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM
i'll send everyone pictures and slideshows of mine :) . I feel confident !!!!

git :d

john_spiral
December 8th, 2010, 03:06 PM
have a look at point 10 on:

http://www.google.com/chromeos/termsofservice.html

"10. Proprietary rights

10.1 You acknowledge and agree that Google (or Google’s licensors) own all legal right, title and interest in and to the Software and the Services, including any intellectual property rights which subsist in the Software and the Services (whether those rights happen to be registered or not, and wherever in the world those rights may exist)."

I'm sure the OS has got just a wee bit of GNU in there? Looks like Google have gone all Microsoft by claiming ownership of GNU code.

donkyhotay
December 8th, 2010, 03:23 PM
can i have your home address, full name, social security number, credit card number and ubuntuforums password? And, if you could please post it in the public so other people may benefit from the information as well, since you obviously have nothing to hide.

stop using the 'nothing to hide' fallacy. It's just not true.

+1 =d>

Tristam Green
December 8th, 2010, 04:40 PM
A 12.1" screen is not a netbook.

samalex
December 8th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I signed-up and am keeping my fingers crossed. I already about live in the Google cloud, so having a netbook like this would be NICE to check out.

It also has 3G access, so I wonder if they'll be footing the bill for unlimited 3G access. That'd be extra nice.

oldos2er
December 8th, 2010, 08:25 PM
If anyone actually gets one, please post here!

KingYaba
December 8th, 2010, 08:52 PM
If anyone actually gets one, please post here!

Well, if I'm one of the lucky few I'll be sure to brag about it. :D

aysiu
December 8th, 2010, 09:08 PM
+1 =d>
-2, actually.

Google isn't asking for credit card numbers, social security numbers, or passwords.

Given that they are providing you a free netbook/laptop, the questions they ask make sense. They need to know how to contact you and what your real name and address are (how can they send you a netbook without your address?).

Privacy on the internet doesn’t exist (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/privacy-on-the-internet-doesnt-exist/)
Privacy on the Internet Still Doesn’t Exist (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/privacy-on-the-internet-still-doesnt-exist/)

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
December 8th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Still, the "nothing to hide" argument is a fallacy and a cheap excuse used by police states. As for this particular offering, I consider my name and address more valuable than a locked-down netbook that only runs Chrome.

aysiu
December 8th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Still, the "nothing to hide" argument is a fallacy and a cheap excuse used by police states. That I can agree with. Privacy isn't a matter of either/or (I have total privacy or I have absolutely no privacy at all). There's a measure of privacy you can expect and then a certain amount that is unreasonable or delusional. But a desire for privacy does not indicate that you are doing something criminal.

As for this particular offering, I consider my name and address more valuable than a locked-down netbook that only runs Chrome. That's your choice, and I respect it, but not everyone is going to make that choice, and those who choose other than you are also entitled to do so without being attacked as not caring about their privacy.

bwhite82
December 8th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Still, the "nothing to hide" argument is a fallacy and a cheap excuse used by police states. As for this particular offering, I consider my name and address more valuable than a locked-down netbook that only runs Chrome.

Who's to say that after you provide your feedback to Google that you couldn't install your favorite linux flavor?? We don't know enough about it at this point to make any assertions.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
December 8th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Who's to say that after you provide your feedback to Google that you couldn't install your favorite linux flavor?? We don't know enough about it at this point to make any assertions.

The official Google Chrome OS netbooks won't have standard BIOS, but Google's in-house firmware that won't allow you to install another OS. There will probably be a "jailbreak" or something to that effect, as there inevitably is when the end-users have physical access to hardware, but the hardware itself is nothing remarkable, so I don't think buying it for that aspect alone is worth it, unless Google will be selling them super-subsidized.

themusicalduck
December 8th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Chromium came up with a little message asking if I wanted to sign up for this.

Then read it was US only. :( I signed up anyway, but I actually signed up for the Google voice preview too when it was running and got accepted. But then once I tried to sign up for it, it just told me I couldn't anyway. I imagine it would be the same in this case if I were accepted :/

markp1989
December 8th, 2010, 10:19 PM
-2, actually.

Google isn't asking for credit card numbers, social security numbers, or passwords.

Given that they are providing you a free netbook/laptop, the questions they ask make sense. They need to know how to contact you and what your real name and address are (how can they send you a netbook without your address?).

Privacy on the internet doesn’t exist (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/privacy-on-the-internet-doesnt-exist/)
Privacy on the Internet Still Doesn’t Exist (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/privacy-on-the-internet-still-doesnt-exist/)

just read both articles and I agree with you completely about people illusion of privacy online, its even more annoying when they thing that all they have to do is avoid using Google and Facebook and they will be safe. The amount of time i hear people saying they don't want an android phone because of Google knowing who they phone, how do they think their service providers send them bills, do they seriously think that the provider doesn't log who they phone and how long for!

Or when people use proxies for privacy, when you use a free one, they are most likely selling some info to advertising companies to fund it, and if its a paid for proxy then they have your address/credit card details, which if anything is going to make it even easier to track you down.

back on topic...

I applied for 1 of these , United Kingdom was in the drop down list for countries, I probably wont get it, but I'm hoping I do. I already carry a laptop and android phone with me everywhere I go, so it will be interesting to try it out.

inobe
December 8th, 2010, 10:43 PM
A 12.1" screen is not a netbook.

it's just a big netbook :p

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
December 8th, 2010, 11:09 PM
it's just a big netbook :p

I find this technological progress intriguing. It's only a matter of time before we'll finally be able to have 15" and 17" netbooks, and the circle will be complete. :D

bwhite82
December 8th, 2010, 11:11 PM
The official Google Chrome OS netbooks won't have standard BIOS, but Google's in-house firmware that won't allow you to install another OS. There will probably be a "jailbreak" or something to that effect, as there inevitably is when the end-users have physical access to hardware, but the hardware itself is nothing remarkable, so I don't think buying it for that aspect alone is worth it, unless Google will be selling them super-subsidized.

These are the official netbooks from Google. You may be right, but where I can read this information myself? Source?

v1ad
December 9th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Applied with a resume attached :D.
Chrome OS is different and it is worth a try, for all the haters out there give it a full hearted try first.
i am hoping that it will have ssh access in the future :D then i'll be set.

inobe
December 9th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I find this technological progress intriguing. It's only a matter of time before we'll finally be able to have 15" and 17" netbooks, and the circle will be complete. :D

i seen some interesting concepts on what future devices would look like, some device's roll up, other's are unbreakable and flexible with a thickness of less than a 16th of an inch.

we shall see

The Real Dave
December 9th, 2010, 01:03 AM
It popped up in my Chromium window. Unfortunately, it appears to be US only. No luck of the Irish this time :(

madjr
December 9th, 2010, 02:02 AM
more details of the free notebook pilot program in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjb5kFLOz_Q

DZ*
December 9th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I got it popped up in Chrome too. But I don't really understand this part of Terms & Conditions:

"you agree that Google may use, adapt, translate, and copy your submission materials ... You also agree that you shall not have the right to terminate or rescind this consent or to restrain the production, distribution, or advertising of your materials"

What "submission materials" are they talking about for which I have no right to terminate consent?

Ric_NYC
December 9th, 2010, 05:59 AM
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/2050/screenshot2ce.png

Khakilang
December 9th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Why is it only in the US and not the rest of the world? Cost maybe? I want one at least for my daughter.

tgalati4
December 9th, 2010, 06:32 AM
All your chrome belong to us.

zer010
December 9th, 2010, 06:53 AM
I got it popped up in Chrome too. But I don't really understand this part of Terms & Conditions:

"you agree that Google may use, adapt, translate, and copy your submission materials ... You also agree that you shall not have the right to terminate or rescind this consent or to restrain the production, distribution, or advertising of your materials"

What "submission materials" are they talking about for which I have no right to terminate consent?
It was exactly because of those lines that I decided not to apply for one.

HangukMiguk
December 9th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I applied. I figure, if I get one, it's free, it's a computer, and after testing it out for them, I could just give it to my mother, since she is always hounding me about setting her up with a laptop to communicate with me while I'm overseas.

lisati
December 9th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Interesting. Hmmmm.....

alexan
December 9th, 2010, 07:31 AM
"First, give us all details about your life; then, maybe we give you a netbook"

aysiu
December 9th, 2010, 07:37 AM
"First, give us all details about your life; then, maybe we give you a netbook"
If you were giving free netbooks away, what information would you ask for? You wouldn't ask for a name and address?

laithbsoul
December 9th, 2010, 07:54 AM
i have nothing to hide.

that's right and I agree

ndefontenay
December 9th, 2010, 08:35 AM
A company who's seeking personal information is not going to refuse any, regardless of where you are.

They will accept any information from anyone, anywhere and not send you a laptop since you're not in the US.

Then, in a private meeting somewhere at google, someone will show a beautiful chart saying that their campaign had exceeded expectation with even people unable to get a laptop giving their information away.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
December 9th, 2010, 01:40 PM
that's right and I agree

And yet, I still don't see your SS and credit card number. Every embarrassing detail of your personal/family life would be fine as well.

Everyone has something to hide.

madjr
December 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM
And yet, I still don't see your SS and credit card number. Every embarrassing detail of your personal/family life would be fine as well.

why does your nick take half the forum screen, cant it be shortened ?

i think these forums need to place a limit on nick length..

fatality_uk
December 9th, 2010, 03:11 PM

Are Google asking for those details? Of course not. Privacy is determined by each individual, what they feel comfortable disclosing either in reality or online. There is a difference between having something to hide and not wanting to disclose personal information.

MooPi
December 9th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Why is it only in the US and not the rest of the world? Cost maybe? I want one at least for my daughter.
I can see that maybe the test conditions are determinate on the Verizon 3g setup for the device. This may be keeping it US only to tighten test parameters.

HappinessNow
December 9th, 2010, 03:35 PM
http://www.google.com/chromeos/static/images/cr48-3.jpg

I received an email today from Google, thusly posted below:

At first I thought it was some sort of phishing scam but confirmed when I went to their "pilot" webpage. Not everyone who signs up will receive one, they seem to want a good mix of users and profiles.

You need to fill out a survey. At first I thought of keeping quiet about it and thus slightly increasing my odds of getting one, but its just too good to not pass on. Cheers!Yep, I got the same email and applied for one.

I am not completely happy with anything Apple, Windows or any current Linux distribution has to offer. I hope Google can do a better job then all the rest, right now that won't be hard to do. :p

with the overwhelming success of the Android OS Google has proven they can bring a winning product to market.

DZ*
December 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM

It's just not clear what "submission materials" are. Is any document I create with their notebook and store on their servers becomes a submission material that can be used by Google? In that case, no thanks.

Perhaps this is explained later on after you click on "Agree" but I can't get past this first screen.

HappinessNow
December 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM

It's just not clear what "submission materials" are. Is any document I create with their notebook and store on their servers becomes a submission material that can be used by Google? In that case, no thanks.

Perhaps this is explained later on after you click on "Agree" but I can't get past this first screen.
The agreement in full:

By selecting "I agree", you agree that Google may use, adapt, translate, and copy your submission materials to advertise, publicize, and promote Google's business activities in present or future media. You agree that Google may incorporate its own audio, visual, musical, and other effects into such materials. You also agree that you own and have the right to authorize Google's activities as set out in this agreement and that you are aware of no other permission being needed to undertake these activities. In all cases, Google acquires no ownership right over your materials. You also agree that you shall not have the right to terminate or rescind this consent or to restrain the production, distribution, or advertising of your materials.

If selected as a Chrome OS Pilot Program participant, I authorize Google to collect anonymous browsing statistics and other usage data for tracking and analysis purposes as as outlined in the Google Privacy Policy, located at http://www.google.com/privacypolicy.html. This data will not be associated with me, but will be tracked anonymously. Furthermore, I agree to participate in all product feedback studies conducted by the Google Chrome OS team for the duration of the Pilot Program and agree to be opted in to the Chrome OS feedback group. I understand that Google will only ship the device to a US-based address and cannot send this device to a P.O. Box or address outside of the US. I agree to not sell or transfer the device to anyone else, unless under written instruction from Google to do so. Replacement of broken devices is subject to Google's review and Google may elect not to replace a non-functioning or broken device at Google's sole discretion. In the event that Google elects to replace a broken device, Google will cover all shipping and handling fees. Google reserves the right to contact you about Chrome OS or related Google products by email, phone, post, or in-person upon submitting this application. Please indicate your agreement to the above terms by clicking "I agree".

I have no problems with this agreement.

Any doubts simply write Google directly:

If you have any questions about this Privacy Policy, please feel free to contact us through our website or write to us at

Privacy Matters
c/o Google Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, California, 94043
USAhttp://www.google.com/privacy/privacy-policy.html

DZ*
December 9th, 2010, 04:09 PM
The agreement in full:
[...]
I have no problems with this agreement.

The second paragraph that you added talks about aggregate statistics. It doesn't explain what "submission materials" are. I don't have a problem with the second paragraph. However, due to the nature of this OS, documents that you create are going to be stored online and thus are ostensibly "submission materials".

Or are they not?

asifnaz
December 9th, 2010, 07:26 PM

As for as my poor english can read it is not specific to to any country . They have list of all countries . I chose mine and done .

PuddingKnife
December 9th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I got one!

I'll post a new thread soon with pics... Im still opening it.

omgomgomgomg

racie
December 10th, 2010, 04:29 AM
I got one!

I'll post a new thread soon with pics... Im still opening it.

omgomgomgomg

Did you get a confirmation e-mail? How long did you wait for a reply?

*edit* Nevermind, I found your thread. :P

asifnaz
December 10th, 2010, 06:21 AM
For God sake bro . They are giving you that netbook for beta testing . They have every right to collect data from you and use it for the betterment of the device .

cascade9
December 10th, 2010, 09:57 AM
The second paragraph that you added talks about aggregate statistics. It doesn't explain what "submission materials" are. I don't have a problem with the second paragraph. However, due to the nature of this OS, documents that you create are going to be stored online and thus are ostensibly "submission materials".

Or are they not?

Not just documents, anything you do on chromeOS.

You'd hardly think that google would make it clear with a 'all your dataz belong to us'. Even if that is the intnet.

For God sake bro . They are giving you that netbook for beta testing . They have every right to collect data from you and use it for the betterment of the device .

Why for 'gods sake'? Whats she got to do with it? :P

I doubt that agreement will be 'beta only', I'll be willing to bet that it will apply to any final version released as well.

m4tic
December 10th, 2010, 09:59 AM

People are too paranoid in this world really.

bwhite82
December 16th, 2010, 11:16 PM
WOOooHOOOoO!!! I got one, just today!! Pics very shortly.

bwhite82
December 16th, 2010, 11:35 PM
It shipped from KY. Please excuse the crappy droid pics:

http://imgur.com/eW0If.jpg

http://imgur.com/48XLC.jpg

http://imgur.com/2SWFO.jpg

http://imgur.com/rESnT.jpg

http://imgur.com/dNohA.jpg

http://imgur.com/FdnO8.jpg