PDA

View Full Version : Java and PHP For Web Develpment

Hodge_1974
December 7th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Hi Everyone. I've done some extensive Google reading on PHP versus Java for web development and while there is a lot of good reading to be done I find some of the threads lacking in regard to actual nuts and bolt, not to mention they typically devolve into a ******* match about which is "better".
I figured the Ubuntu forums would be a good place to get a good cross section of opinions without having to worry about things devolving into a forum war. :D
Anyhow, about where I'm at:
I've written several stand alone Java applications and have recently been developing a PHP site. Both interact with MYSQL on the back end.
I am growing increasingly frustrated with how PHP is so loosey goosey with code. It doesn't help that everything has to be embedded within HTML and freaking tags are littered everywhere.
I guess it starts with the fact that its interpreted vs compiled; debugging seems so much a chore with PHP versus Java. I mean I know exactly where to go (for the most part) and analyze when something is broken rather than guess, make changes, see the result and guess again with PHP. It was painful at first, but I eventually grew to love how strict Java is.
This sort of gets to the point of my call (talk radio reference), given my comfort with Java would I be inherently better off and more comfortable developing in Java for Web development than PHP? Or maybe I just need to give PHP some time to grow on me and get some better reference material.
At this point I am seriously thinking of scraping what I have and renting a Tomcat server and starting from scratch.
Hopefully I can get some good feedback here.

Sub101
December 7th, 2010, 11:22 PM
If you know and are competent with Java then I would use that - unless you are a student in which case forcing yourself to learn a new language is never a bad thing!