PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] installing .so file

aznjoka
December 7th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I'm wanting to install an .so file but I have no idea how.

Would appreciate the help.

wojox
December 7th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Is it a driver? What's it called?

coffeecat
December 7th, 2010, 10:29 PM
A library file? Normally you install them through the package manager. What are you trying to install?

Carharttjimmy
December 7th, 2010, 10:43 PM
This might help: http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/so

aznjoka
December 7th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I am trying to install the flash player 10.2b beta, i heard about the hardware acceleration and really need it at the moment, I had extracted it, but have no idea what to do next??

Carharttjimmy
December 7th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Interesting, I heard that also. But, does it come in .so file?

Because that sounds like an executable. What did almighty google say?

aznjoka
December 7th, 2010, 10:54 PM
The almighty google made it pretty complex for me to understand, not that it's a problem. But heading to Ubuntu Forum hoping to have it in laymen terms.

wojox
December 7th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Open a terminal and cd to the directory it's in and run

sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Close firefox and reopen.

coffeecat
December 7th, 2010, 10:56 PM
If that's a libflashplayer.so file, the easiest way is to create a 'plugins' folder in the hidden .mozilla folder in your home folder. Then simply copy/move the libflashplayer.so file into ~/.mozilla/plugins/.

If you've installed any other version of flash you need to uninstall that first.

This way only works for your account. It is possible to install it somewhere in /usr for all accounts, but I've forgotten the path. If you need it someone else might be able to help.

Edit: wojox already has.

aznjoka
December 7th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks! it worked ! thank you all, flash 10.2b working great hardware acceleration is amazing! thanks!