PDA

View Full Version : Swift Linux: lightweight, large repository, user-friendly

swiftlinuxcreator
December 7th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Come check out Swift Linux, my new Linux distro at http://www.swiftlinux.org . No other distro offers the Swift Linux COMBINATION of lightweight operation, a large repository, and user-friendliness. If you are using Ubuntu with only 512 MB of RAM, Swift Linux is for you. Swift Linux is lightweight enough to run on any computer that can run Puppy Linux or Windows 98. With 1 GB of RAM or more, Swift Linux feels as swift as a rocket. Swift Linux is fully compatible with the Debian software repository. Puppy Linux and most other lightweight distros fall short on this criterion. Swift Linux has user-friendly default settings. Unlike Slackware, Arch Linux, and Gentoo, Swift Linux is so easy to use that even Jessica Simpson could use it.

Megaptera
December 7th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Who is Jessica Simpson?

In case like me you've never heard of her:
Wikipedia says:"Jessica Ann Simpson (born July 10, 1980) is an American singer, actress, television personality and fashion designer whose rise to fame began in 1999. Since that time, Simpson has achieved many recording milestones, starred in several television shows, movies, and commercials, launched a line or hair and beauty products, and designed fragrances, shoes, and handbags for women. She has devoted time to philanthropic efforts including Operation Smile and a USO-hosted tour for troops stationed overseas.

She has achieved seven Billboard Top 40 hits, three gold and two Multi- Platinum RIAA certified studio albums, four of which have reached the top 10 on the US Billboard 200.[1][2] Simpson starred with her then-husband Nick Lachey in the MTV reality show Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica. She ventured into the country music market in 2008 and released Do You Know.

She has sold 20 million records worldwide. Simpson has a total of records sales in Australia of more than 426,000 copies and was ranked in the # 113 on the 1000 artists chart of ARIA Music Decade Charts (1980–2010).[3] In 2009, Billboard named Simpson as the 95th overall best Artists of the Decade.[4] Simpson also was ranked at number 86 on Billboard 200 Artists, solely based on album sales."

swiftlinuxcreator
December 7th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Who is Jessica Simpson?

Jessica Simpson is a pop music singer who starred in a reality show called _Newlyweds_ with her then-husband Nick Lachey. She's known for being dumb and ditzy. Jessica Simpson is famous for asking if Chicken of the Sea is chicken or fish, thinking buffalo wings come from buffalo instead of chicken, and thinking the plural of "mouse" is "mouses".

Sporkman
December 7th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Jessica Simpson doesn't sound so dumb to me...

Megaptera
December 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks, I Wiki'd as others were posting.
But more to the point, I'm going to take a look at your distro.
Which parts are marketing/advert only and which do you really want people to try & to give feedback on?

Spice Weasel
December 7th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.

swiftlinuxcreator
December 7th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks, I Wiki'd as others were posting.
But more to the point, I'm going to take a look at your distro.
Which parts are marketing/advert only and which do you really want people to try & to give feedback on?

Taylor Swift Linux is nothing more than regular Swift Linux with special wallpaper and a song clip that plays at startup. Swift Linux, Diet Swift Linux, and Forensic Swift Linux use the standard Swift Linux wallpaper and have no startup sound.

RiceMonster
December 7th, 2010, 09:45 PM
sick website, brah

jerenept
December 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
sick website, brah

http://kompozer.net/

Techsnap
December 7th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Looks like a Gosalia Style joke distro to me. First of all where's the web design? Now I'm not a web designer at all but I wouldn't put a product out there with a website which looks like that. If you can't do websites then fair enough but how about using a template at least? Or using a CMS like Joomla.

Swift Linux is fully compatible with the Debian software repository.

Another Ubuntu remastersys then?

Swift Linux has user-friendly default settings. Unlike Slackware, Arch Linux, and Gentoo

People who don't want learn Linux wouldn't use distros like that anyway so why compare yourself to them?

Swift Linux is so easy to use that even Jessica Simpson could use it.

Then you have to compare it to some woman to promote it? Really?

wojox
December 7th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Love the Magnum P.I. wallpaper. ;)

CompyTheInsane
December 7th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Linux is much safer from viruses and other malware. One reason is the need for special authorization to change the system in Linux, which malware doesn't have. (This is where root comes in.)

Linux has EXCELLENT resistance to viruses, spyware, malware, and crackers.

And does it have resistance to malware that is given root access to be installed?
Nope (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/12/malware-hidden-inside-screensaver-on-gnome-look/). Root/authorization prompts alone do not prevent a user from installing viruses or any other type of malware. It's all up to common sense and user education to help prevent this regardless of operating system.

Windows requires you to manually install drivers for just about every piece of hardware.
Not for every piece of hardware with Windows 7. I was able to get sound and graphics working out of the box with Windows 7 on my PC without having to do any slipstreaming.

The Blue Screen of Death (or the equivalent) becomes more and more frequent over time.
In over what amount of time? The longest amount of time I've used Windows without having to reinstall it was two years and have never gotten a BSOD aside from such that resulted from a GPU driver bug triggered by a certain game that I played at the time.

More importantly, say good-bye to opportunities to unwittingly host a spam mail server or to let your credit card numbers and passwords fall into the wrong hands.
And how does Linux prevent that? I would like to know.

swiftlinuxcreator
February 24th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I recently started a new Linux distro called Swift Linux (www.swiftlinux.org).

Background: The pedigree is Debian Testing -> MEPIS Linux -> antiX Linux -> Swift Linux. The purpose of Swift Linux is to be lightweight and user-friendly like Puppy Linux while also offering a superior repository like Debian, Ubuntu, and Mint. Swift Linux is based on antiX Linux and requires just 128 MB of RAM (256 MB recommended) and a Pentium II or newer processor. Like antiX and MEPIS, Swift Linux is fully compatible with the Debian repository.

Although antiX Linux is based on Debian Testing, I have Swift Linux default settings configured to download Debian Stable packages instead of Debian Testing packages. However, I'm now considering having all subsequent versions use Debian Testing packages, as the Swift Linux base is Debian Testing, and I'm not sure that the Debian Stable packages really mean that much improvement in stability. What do you think?

That said, for the versions of Swift Linux that have OpenOffice preinstalled, I intend to stick with OpenOffice 2.4 (from Lenny) because it's lightweight. Version 3 of OpenOffice has double the requirements of version 2. I don't think version 3 would work well with 128 MB of RAM (minimum requirement for Swift Linux), and the extra space it requires would likely make the Swift Linux ISO file too large to fit on a CD.

TBABill
February 24th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I recently started a new Linux distro called Swift Linux (www.swiftlinux.org (http://www.swiftlinux.org)).

Background: The pedigree is Debian Testing -> MEPIS Linux -> antiX Linux -> Swift Linux.

Although antiX Linux is based on Debian Testing, I have Swift Linux default settings configured to download Debian Stable packages instead of Debian Testing packages. However, I'm now considering having all subsequent versions use Debian Testing packages, as the Swift Linux base is Debian Testing, and I'm not sure that the Debian Stable packages really mean that much improvement in stability. What do you think?

I don't understand. You have based your distro off another distro based on another distro that bases itself on Debian Testing. Yet you point the repos in your distro to Debian Stable? And thinking of having all subsequent versions use Testing?

I'd suggest first picking your poison. Now that Squeeze is the stable version of Debian, if you based your distro on anything "pre-release" (meaning while Squeeze was still 'Testing'), then you are already based on Stable and your distro is based on stable so long as you leave the sources.list alone. But once you open those repos up to testing you will pull in what is, for now, Wheezy. So you change your distro to something rolling from something stable.

But if you setup your base from Debian Testing AFTER the release of Squeeze, then you are already based on Wheezy. Tying it to the stable repos is pointless at that point because nothing will update. Wheezy has many newer files (hundreds already) than stable that would never change unless you reverted users back to testing.

My suggestion is to go with your base. If you are basing off of testing, then stick with it unless you have the resources to manage it once your base changes in one direction and you go another. If Antix>Mepis>Debian are using testing, your safest bet is also testing. And Stable is certainly more stable than testing, as you'd find in a search of the forums today after last night's "broken package" update from testing. It'll clear up, but at that point your users would be looking for answers and expecting someone to find them. But since you said AntiX is based on testing you'd have to find a different route/path to Debian than the one you are on if you want real stability consistently.

Testing is great, but stable truly is more....stable. No question about it. It's thoroughly tested and cleared of bugs heavier than any other Debian version.

K.Mandla
February 25th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I'd suggest first picking your poison. ...
+1. It's very very rare for me to have a problem with testing. But if you want something that's stable ... well, there's your answer.