PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Windows

Harry2
December 7th, 2010, 07:17 PM
How do I go around installing windows, using a downloaded ISO file, to an external hard drive?

I don't have a working disk drive nor and installation CD, so it's currently out of the question.

matt_symes
December 7th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Hi

using a downloaded ISO file

Is it a legal copy?

Kind regards

Harry2
December 7th, 2010, 07:21 PM
The copy won't be legal, unless Windows gives a trial but I will be purchasing a legit CD for Christmas and I'm presuming it'll give me the 30 days trial so I'm just planning ahead :)

matt_symes
December 7th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Hi

Your best bet then is to create a LiveUSB and boot from that to install windows.

Check your BIOS can boot from a USB device (just covering all the bases) :)

What OS are you currently using?

Kind regards

Mark Phelps
December 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM
How do I go around installing windows, using a downloaded ISO file, to an external hard drive?

IF you're talking about installing Win7 to an external drive -- you can't do this. The installer will not let you install to an external drive.

You can install Win7 FROM an External drive -- but that is a very different question.

Harry2
December 14th, 2010, 02:58 PM
What about Vista?

Mark Phelps
December 14th, 2010, 04:43 PM
What about Vista?

Same limitations.

MS does not want folks walking around with PORTABLE installations of their OS's!

Harry2
December 14th, 2010, 05:02 PM
What a fail!

How about partitioning the TB drive like this?

A = 200GB Ubuntu
B = 800gb for Storage (Well, the remaining space)

So can I install Ubuntu to the external drive, then installing Windows to my Internal Drive?

Mark Phelps
December 15th, 2010, 06:33 PM
What a fail!

How about partitioning the TB drive like this?

A = 200GB Ubuntu
B = 800gb for Storage (Well, the remaining space)

So can I install Ubuntu to the external drive, then installing Windows to my Internal Drive?

Unless you're planning on storing all your data files inside Ubuntu, you don't need anything near that large. 30GB will give you LOTS of space to spare.

You should probably install Windows first -- as Ubuntu will then be able to find it and add it to the GRUB menu for you.