PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ASUS EEE PC 1000 installation hangs up

stimulusxresponse
December 7th, 2010, 05:44 AM
I'm relatively new to Linux in general and have been trying to read and learn about it since I got my ASUS EEE PC 1000 2 years ago but have been generally frustrated with trying to learn to use the Linux distributions and keep them working properly. I've tried Ubuntu EEE and EEEBUNTU, It seems like it will work ok for a while, then some random update will cause a problem.. the wireless being the biggest issue .. and the whole point of having this netbook is to be able to take it with me everywhere and connect to wireless networks.

I recently decided to try ubuntu and first downloaded the netbook remix 10.10 and tried to install it.. I got to the 'who are you' page and at the bottom it says 'copying files' for a few minutes and then says 'ready when you are' but the 'forward' button is not available to click on it. I've tried several times... did the md5 checksum thing and it said my image was good... downloaded the image again anyway.. same thing... hangs in the same spot every time.... I then downloaded the desktop 10.10 image and the same thing happens every time.. I can't click the 'forward' button ...

does this version just not work with my ASUS EEE PC 1000 for some reason?

it has the Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz cpu, 2 gigs ram, 8 GB SSD (primary), 32 GB SSD (secondary).

every time I've tried to install, I've just chosen to let it install to the 8 GB SSD and use the whole thing, no advanced partitioning or anything else.

Quackers
December 7th, 2010, 09:09 AM
The username cannot start (or end) with a capital letter. Try again with no capitals.

stimulusxresponse
December 7th, 2010, 04:31 PM
thanks for the reply... my user name did not have any capital letters in it though... my 'Your name' field at the top did have capital letters.. the user name was auto populated with the same name in all lower case... I removed the capitals from the 'Your name' field and nothing changed... everything had a green check mark beside it except the 'user name' field and I had assumed that this was because ubuntu did not care what your user name was... then I decided to remove the '.' from the user name (j.doe > j-doe) and then a green check appeared beside the user name field and the 'forward' button was then available to click... <sigh> ... I can't believe I've been banging my head against a wall for the last few days wondering why this would not install... and over such a simple little thing like a dot/period.... seems like you would be prompted that you are not allowed to use the dot......... oh well... it is currently installing... hopefully it will go smoothly from here on out.

Quackers
December 7th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Some "special" characters are not allowed either :-)
I don't have a list though.