PDA

View Full Version : Xubuntu rising fast on Distrowatch

dermotti
April 22nd, 2006, 03:17 AM
Currently ranked #53 , wonder where it will settle :-P

Iandefor
April 22nd, 2006, 03:57 AM
There's no such thing as "settling" in the Linux world :).

I've never liked XFCE all that much. Felt too rough around the edges.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 22nd, 2006, 04:02 AM
There's no such thing as "settling" in the Linux world :).

I've never liked XFCE all that much. Felt too rough around the edges.
I agree but with the new releases, it has become much better.

dermotti
April 22nd, 2006, 11:03 AM
Its almost a brand new windows manager now, way different than the version included in breezy

mostwanted
April 22nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
I'm dissappointed they (the Ubuntu devs) transformed it into a Gnome clone, I rather liked the traditional layout.

dermotti
April 22nd, 2006, 06:03 PM
I changed mine to the traditional layout... what i like about this version is you dont have to have two panels. i have just one panel at 40% width on top.

Super King
April 22nd, 2006, 06:08 PM
Wow, the new version looks great, much better than the "Windows-95 ish" look at the ol' Xubuntu had (judging from screenshots I've seen, haven't tried it myself). It certainly does look a little Gnome-ish, but hey, I like Gnome :) but wouldn't mind something a bit lighter. Downloading the liveCD now.

mostwanted
April 22nd, 2006, 06:17 PM
Wow, the new version looks great, much better than the "Windows-95 ish" look at the ol' Xubuntu had (judging from screenshots I've seen, haven't tried it myself). It certainly does look a little Gnome-ish, but hey, I like Gnome :) but wouldn't mind something a bit lighter. Downloading the liveCD now.

This is what it used to look like:

http://www.xfce.org/images/screenshots/snap_VI.jpg

Doesn't look very Win95 to me =/

briancurtin
April 22nd, 2006, 06:42 PM
doesnt look windows 95'ish to me either. its CDE looking, which i think was part of the plan

htinn
April 22nd, 2006, 07:01 PM
I've been enjoying these Xubuntu updates, lately. Every week or so I notice some improvements. It really deserves a second or third consideration if you've tried it before, although you might wait till June 1st.

Gustav
April 22nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
doesnt look windows 95'ish to me either. its CDE looking, which i think was part of the plan
Yuck!

CDE must be the ugliest desktop ever. The university that i study in used to have computers with a old solaris that just had CDE on them (now there's heavenly Gnome).

Iandefor
April 22nd, 2006, 10:39 PM
Yuck!

CDE must be the ugliest desktop ever. The university that i study in used to have computers with a old solaris that just had CDE on them (now there's heavenly Gnome). I've always wondered why someone would subject themselves to the horror that is CDE, and, in general, a lot of the older X environments.

darkoptix
April 23rd, 2006, 12:15 AM
My university uses CDE in the unix labs... worst environment ever....

dermotti
April 23rd, 2006, 03:49 AM
Um, it doesnt look like CDE at all......maybe your thinking of pre 4.0 XFCE. Like 3.8 really looked like CDE and sucked a$$.

BTW Xubuntu has risin to 38th place this month. W00t.