PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help me obi wans--my wife's pissed at me!!!

Tenpennydoug
December 6th, 2010, 11:25 PM
my darling wife has an acer aspire netbook model zg5--it came with xp installed and she liked it ok, then i got hold of a usb flash version of windows 7 and put in on there for her. she didnt like win 7 (surprise!) so as an Ubuntu user myself i recommended putting ubuntu netbook on for her to try--she's so used to xp etc that it was really more than she needed, so i agreed to remove it and reinstall xp. in doing so i appear to have butchered her netbook, and cannot even access the recovery factory default settings (which would i assume put xp back on the machine)--problem is the netbook has usb drives but no disc drive, and when i access the f2 and f12 settings it lets me change boot order to the flash drive but still cant read it. acer, the netbook manufacturer, apparently can send system restore discs but i have no way (without buying an external disc drive) of getting the original bios with xp back on her machine. i've tried all the alt-f10 etc stuff without any luck. anyone out there ever fixed this kinda thing? darn i wish she'd liked the ubuntu netbook OS............

wilee-nilee
December 6th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Buy the oem set, and as the next posts suggests buy a external cd/dvd reader. I got a nice one from amazon for 50$

snowpine
December 7th, 2010, 12:11 AM
An external CD/DVD drive is inexpensive (under $50) and is a handy accessory for any netbook owner; she can watch DVDs, rip CDs, easily install new software, etc. (And the holidays are just around the corner...)

That being said, there are numerous "install Windows XP from a USB flash drive" tutorials out there on the 'web.

Tenpennydoug
December 7th, 2010, 07:54 AM
my darling wife has an acer aspire netbook model zg5--it came with xp installed and she liked it ok, then i got hold of a usb flash version of windows 7 and put in on there for her. she didnt like win 7 (surprise!) so as an Ubuntu user myself i recommended putting ubuntu netbook on for her to try--she's so used to xp etc that it was really more than she needed, so i agreed to remove it and reinstall xp. in doing so i appear to have butchered her netbook, and cannot even access the recovery factory default settings (which would i assume put xp back on the machine)--problem is the netbook has usb drives but no disc drive, and when i access the f2 and f12 settings it lets me change boot order to the flash drive but still cant read it. acer, the netbook manufacturer, apparently can send system restore discs but i have no way (without buying an external disc drive) of getting the original bios with xp back on her machine. i've tried all the alt-f10 etc stuff without any luck. anyone out there ever fixed this kinda thing? darn i wish she'd liked the ubuntu netbook OS............

thanks to everyone for their replies and assistance----i need it!