PDA

View Full Version : Google opens eBook store

samalex
December 6th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Wow, seems everyone's getting into this:
http://books.google.com/ebooks

What I like is searching a term returns not only the term in the title and synopsis, but any book with the term anywhere in it. NICE!

And there's an Android app which I'll be downloading today :)

Update: Looks like most of the book are the same price if not more than what Amazon and B&N sell them at. Hmm...

Sam

Dr. C
December 7th, 2010, 03:15 AM
If the eBook has DRM I am simply not interested.

They need to clearly identify which titles are infected with DRM and which titles are not infected with DRM. A purchaser can then purchase titles that are not infected with DRM and avoid those titles that are infected with DRM.

HangukMiguk
December 7th, 2010, 04:38 AM
As long as there isn't DRM problems if I changed devices (such as I have a Droid 2 now, but later, switch to something else), this may be what I'm looking for.

Nope...US only. When is there ever going to be an international ebook store so I'm not screwed out of buying new books when I'm living in Korea?

Dr. C
December 7th, 2010, 05:48 AM
They are working on bringing the store to more countries. Selling books internationally is very tricky because of exclusive distribution rights in many countries. In some cases the exclusive distribution rights are part of copyright law.

As for DRM: If there is DRM there will be problems for legitimate users sooner or later. I have yet to see a DRM scheme that does not cause serious problems to legitimate users that pay for content, while having a minimal impact if at all on pirates.