PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No root file system is defined

kinglogan420
July 11th, 2010, 05:16 AM
PLEASE HALP!!!

i am trying to install the new version of ubuntu 10.04(desktop 32 bit) on my desktop and when i get to step 4 (prepare partitions) nothing shows up and if i click forward, i just get "no root file system is defined, please correct this from the partition... etc", i am currently "trying" 10.04 becuase i have no operating system on there right now, my windows 7 went corrupt so i deleted it. why cant i see my hard drive in gparted or anything to create partitions AND WHY CANT I INSTALL?

please help.. desperate here

Thanks.
-Logan

maximumdoodoo
December 6th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Did you ever resolve this issue? While I am able to see the hard drive in gparted, I'm stuck with the same problem you're seeing during installation.

Quackers
December 6th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Do you have an operating system installed on the disc already?

maximumdoodoo
December 6th, 2010, 07:27 PM
The hd has been erased. I'm attempting to install 10.10 via Live CD. I am able to successfully create partitions, but the partitions are not recognized during installation.

Quackers
December 6th, 2010, 07:42 PM
You should have started a new thread.
How are you making the partitions? With what program? The installer?

maximumdoodoo
December 6th, 2010, 07:45 PM
New thread, continuing from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1528612

I created partitions within gparted.

maximumdoodoo
December 6th, 2010, 07:46 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10207400#post10207400

sikander3786
December 6th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Check your Bios settings and switch your HDD mode to 'ahci' or 'compatible'. If that doesn't help, our mate Quackers are still there to help you :P

sikander3786
December 6th, 2010, 07:53 PM
New thread, continuing from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1528612

I created partitions within gparted.
As the issue was being addressed there, I don't feel there was an absolute need for a separate thread.

As now you have started it, I would suggest to remove the reference to the other one and edit above post and describe your exact problem here.

From what I've read there so far, this might be helpful.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10207420&postcount=7

Quackers
December 6th, 2010, 07:55 PM
As Sikander says in the other thread which hopefully will appear in this thread shortly (Mr. Moderator :-)) check your bios settings - unless this hard drive has been recognised ok in your machine previously.

CharlesA
December 6th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Please stick to one thread. It makes it less confusing.

Threads merged.

Quackers
December 6th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks CharlesA.
OP, if you delete all the partitions you have made with gparted does the installer see the unallocated space? Or nothing at all?

maximumdoodoo
December 6th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Since I made a giant mess on my first post, I'll describe the issue in full.

Starting from a formatted hard drive, I am attempting to install 10.10 via the Live CD. During installation, I keep getting stuck on Step 4 (Prepare partitions). The window appears blank. Upon attempting to proceed to the next step I get "no root file system is defined" error.

I am able to successfully create partitions with gparted. Upon deleting all partitions, the installer is still unable to recognize the unallocated space.

Originally, the hard drive was set to RAID by default. I have since changed it to AHCI. This makes no difference.

ronparent
December 6th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Delete the raid meta data that remains on the drive despite the fact that it is no longer used as a raid!

ie sudo dmraid -E /dev/sda etc.

maximumdoodoo
December 6th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Is it advisable to delete this meta deta before creating partitions?

Quackers
December 6th, 2010, 08:33 PM
The command should be run on all discs that have been raided in the past.
I wouldn't think that it would matter whether any partitions are present. Maybe ronparent (the raid king :-) ) could confirm?

maximumdoodoo
December 7th, 2010, 02:26 AM
I have now recreated the appropriate partitions. Upon attempting the dmraid suggestion, I get the following error:

"ERROR: option missing/invalid option combination with -E"

I have checked fdisk -l, and both sda1 and sda2 are listed.

Any ideas?

Quackers
December 7th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Could you post a screenshot of the terminal screen as you run

sudo dmraid -E /dev/sda
please. Thanks.

maximumdoodoo
December 7th, 2010, 02:37 AM
http://i.imgur.com/1QK71.png

maximumdoodoo
December 7th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Apologies for the insanely large image...

maximumdoodoo
December 7th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Also, I realize I took a screenshot using /sda1 in the command. /sda yields the same result.

Quackers
December 7th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Do you just have the one hard drive? Also are any usb sticks plugged in?

maximumdoodoo
December 7th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Just one hard drive. No USB plugged in.

Quackers
December 7th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I've just been reading about it.
I think you may need to try

sudo dmraid -rE /dev/sda
instead. (Notice the extra r)

ronparent
December 7th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Quackers - how right you are. I blew that one!

Quackers
December 7th, 2010, 02:59 AM
So did I ronparent! I just blindly copied it knowing it didn't feel right!

maximumdoodoo
December 7th, 2010, 03:02 AM
You are a king amongst men. I cannot thank you enough.

Due to this entire experience (I'm on hour 18 so far), I am deathly afraid to say "problem solved" until the machine gets through the next installation step, but so far, it looks like this has been resolved.

Again, thank you so much.

On a side note, this is totally irrelevant, but as I was typing this, the Golden Girls was on tv, and the theme song goes, as always, "thank you for being a frieeeeeeeeend".

Quackers
December 7th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Nice one :-)
I'm off to bed now, it's 2 am here.
Nice one ronparent :-)
Goodnight all.

maximumdoodoo
December 7th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Ok.... All is well. 10.10 is now fully installed.

ronparent
December 7th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Congratulations - have fun.

jerry555
December 21st, 2010, 02:23 PM
Sorry for bumping, but i just wanted to thank Quackers! I installed Mint with no problems, but when i restarted the computer, it told me the BIOS was not installed, and it tried to boot, but nothing happened. I'm trying to install Ubuntu now, will edit this post when i am done.

sikander3786
December 21st, 2010, 04:09 PM
Sorry for bumping, but i just wanted to thank Quackers! I installed Mint with no problems, but when i restarted the computer, it told me the BIOS was not installed, and it tried to boot, but nothing happened. I'm trying to install Ubuntu now, will edit this post when i am done.
Strange to hear an error saying BIOS not installed. If Bios was not installed, you wouldn't be able to use your computer any longer ;-)

Bios is the small program which runs at boot and then hands over all the control to the Boot loader in the MBR of your HDD.

So I think the error was regarding Grub or Boot or something like that?

Let us know how your Ubuntu installation goes and feel free to ask if you need any type of help.

Good Luck!

jerry555
December 21st, 2010, 05:01 PM
It loads the BIOS, says the BIOS is FastTrack version 2.00.0.17. Then it is scanning for drives, and then it blinks "No array is defined!". i can press esc to continue booting, when i do that an error message comes saying "[NOTE!] The BIOS is not installed!" and it boots as if there wasnt an operating system. In the Ubuntu installation, it said something about a I/O error, so i guess it is a faulty drive? or maybe i made it faulty, after removing the RAID

oh, and i can get into the BIOS setup.