PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Share HDD with existing OS

Poloski
December 6th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Hi I've downloaded the ubunto latest install and everything went well but I didn't make enough space to share with my windows xp OS... Ubunto has become an OS option pre boot mode but needs more room to execute fully .everything on XP op is still fine I just need advice on what is the best way to proceed from here ...cheers

pricetech
December 6th, 2010, 05:19 PM
If you've just installed, reinstall is your easiest option.

Make sure that you defrag windows before you shrink the partition and let windows scandisk after you resize.

Welcome to the community.

Poloski
December 6th, 2010, 10:14 PM
ok thanks for the welcome.... I will give reinstall a try cheers Poloski

Poloski
December 6th, 2010, 10:34 PM
ok thanks for the welcome.... I will give reinstall a try cheers Poloski

Any other links to do what you suggest would be appreciated ...How do I uninstall what is there already so I can set up HD with more space?

Poloski
December 7th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Hey thanks Pricetech I looked into it and now understand what you have suggested..I may resize hd partition (it's a new computer with heaps of space but not on the c drive) ...as far as I can tell Its possible to use GParted...freeware to help shrink then resize the c partition...giving more room for 2 OS...do you or anyone else know about this stuff ...cheers 4 now

pricetech
December 7th, 2010, 03:24 PM
The Live CD has gparted on it. You'll find it listed as Partition Editor as best I recall.

Defrag first, then boot to the Live CD and downsize your Windows partition. Reboot into windows and let it run chkdisk like it wants to. Once should be enough, but rebooting to be sure it's happy won't hurt.

Then install Ubuntu on the free space created.

Your "old" Ubuntu partition can be removed with gparted as well. Just be careful that you remove / resize the right partitions and make a backup of your data under Windows just in case.