PDA

View Full Version : netbook install step 3 problems

xsatanx
December 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM
hey guys.i have an acer zg5 8gb,had linux mint 8 on it and ran fine,i have tried to put ubuntu's latest netbook distro on it but it keeps stopping at step 3(keyboard layout)it does this in any distro,tried ubutu and mint,multiple versions.does anybody have any suggestions

lowpan
December 6th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I have a very similar problem. I downloaded 10.10 netbook remix on Dec 5. I can get past the pick keyboard step. I get stuck on the next step: set hostname, userid and password. The 'Forward' button never becomes clickable. The progress bar at bottom says "Ready when you are".

I tried installing 10.10 Desktop version, had same problem.

I've done many ubuntu installs since 8.04. I've successfully installed 10.10 several times in Oct. This is the first time I'm seeing this problem.

xsatanx
December 6th, 2010, 03:36 PM
i cant get any ubuntu based distro to work..d/l'ing meego now to see if it works.

Stovila
December 11th, 2010, 02:01 AM
I have this problem exactly... any fix?
I have a very similar problem. I downloaded 10.10 netbook remix on Dec 5. I can get past the pick keyboard step. I get stuck on the next step: set hostname, userid and password. The 'Forward' button never becomes clickable. The progress bar at bottom says "Ready when you are".

I tried installing 10.10 Desktop version, had same problem.

I've done many ubuntu installs since 8.04. I've successfully installed 10.10 several times in Oct. This is the first time I'm seeing this problem.

guisar
December 17th, 2010, 04:15 PM
It's an installer bug- likely your username or the machine name starts with a capital letter, number or special character. There should be a warning but changing one or both of these should fix the issue.

ionphoenix
January 30th, 2011, 02:03 AM
It's an installer bug- likely your username or the machine name starts with a capital letter, number or special character. There should be a warning but changing one or both of these should fix the issue.
just signed up to say thank you...this is my 1st post

digitalfeedback
March 26th, 2011, 05:51 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for the information. It worked for me. :)

Ronnie1924
April 26th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks too, guisar. That simple step fixed mine too. I'd been stuffing around for days on and off, trying to reinstall Win XP on my Asus Eee PC 901 without success. Couldn't even get the Asus recovery DVD to work. Then came across Ubuntu netbook edition, prepared a USB stick for the install with unetbootin and it seems my problems are solved - and the price was right! Don't get me started about my purchase of a bigger SSD just to accommodate Windows - guess I can save that for another PC or netbook somewhere.