PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Federal Gov't pursues "Cloud First" IT strategy

Sporkman
December 6th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Federal government moves forward with 'cloud-first' plan for new technology

By Marjorie Censer
Capital Business Staff Writer
Sunday, December 5, 2010; 8:29 PM

The General Services Administration's decision last week to move its e-mail program to a Web-based system modeled on Google's popular Gmail program is part of a major government drive to increase federal use of cloud computing.

The GSA is the first federal agency to make the Internet switch, and its decision follows the Office of Management and Budget's declaration last month that the government is now operating under a "cloud-first" policy, meaning agencies must give priority to Web-based applications and services...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/05/AR2010120503320.html

red_Marvin
December 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Moving government functions to a platform that will not be accessible when the network communications are down cannot be described as anything other than stupid.

bug67
December 6th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Moving government functions to a platform that will not be accessible when the network communications are down cannot be described as anything other than stupid.

Considder what organizations we're talking about here.

eriktheblu
December 6th, 2010, 03:50 PM

So you're suggesting that I access my email using Outlook when the network is down?

Paqman
December 6th, 2010, 04:02 PM

You mean, if the entire internet went down? Personally i'd think the bigger problem would be any event that could actually do that.

mips
December 6th, 2010, 04:16 PM
So you're suggesting that I access my email using Outlook when the network is down?

Yes, for all your stored emails & attachements. Pretty handy if you can access the info even though not connected to the net.

Lucradia
December 6th, 2010, 04:49 PM
You mean, if the entire internet went down? Personally i'd think the bigger problem would be any event that could actually do that.

That's not what netsplits would allow. (Netsplits aren't limited to IRC. Ubuntu Forums has had them too, and so has at least one MMORPG I've played, a commercial one even.)

If even a portion of the Internet is down, someone on California's coast in the government, would not be able to access cloud features on the east coast, but still be able to play an MMORPG that has a server in California.

pricetech
December 6th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Not surprised. Such decisions are usually made by people who simply aren't qualified to make them, nor savvy enough to recognize their ignorance.

red_Marvin
December 6th, 2010, 05:12 PM
As mips said, yes. Government is also much more than mail.

madjr
December 6th, 2010, 06:17 PM
as long as is not hotmail or facebook mail..

grahammechanical
December 6th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Who needs Wikileaks any more, once this gets up and running?

regards.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 7th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I checked out the General Services Administration's website (http://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/100000). There is no story here other than their use of a "a Web-based system modeled on Google's popular Gmail program". No secrets hidden there. It is time to move on.
:lolflag: