PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't format hard disk....

anubhav.sharma
December 6th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Hi All,

I am facing bit similar problem. I have installed ubuntu 10.10 on my machine along with windows 7. My hard disk had 4 partitions as follows:

25 GB NTFS WINDOWS7
10 GB UNALLOCATED
75 GB EXT4
50 GB EXT4
After installing the ubuntu my windows7 has crached and the 1st partition is now cleaned by ubuntu. Moreover, the ubuntu is also not working properly (means I don't get the login screen). Now I want to re-format my whole hard disk with NTFS only for WIN7 but I am unable to format my hard drive as none of OS is working.

Please help me, I am in trouble as I can't use my PC.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Quackers
December 6th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Please boot from the Ubuntu Live cd/usb and select "try ubuntu" then when the desktop is loaded make sure you have an internet connection and go to the site below and download the boot script to your DESKTOP and then open up a terminal and run

sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh

This will produce a results.txt file on your desktop. Please copy the contents of that file and paste them in your next post between CODE tags. For CODE tags click on New Reply (not quick reply)and then click on the # symbol in the toolbar.
This will give a full overview of your current system.
Thanks.

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

anubhav.sharma
December 6th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks.

But I don't get the desktop while running the USB drive with "try ubuntu". The screen freezes after displaying the Ubuntu logo..

:(

Quackers
December 6th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Try booting the system normally (without the Ubuntu disc in the drive) and hold down the shift key until the grub menu shows up. This is a white on black menu which will list Ubuntu). When the menu appears the top item will be highlighted. Press the "e" key and a new screen will appear. Using the down arrow and the right arrow navigate to the end of the line that says "quiet splash". Delete the words "quiet splash and in their place type in nomodeset and then press ctrl and X at the same time. Hopefully Ubuntu will boot up then.

anubhav.sharma
December 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks, I will try this out.

anubhav.sharma
December 11th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I tried all the options you suggested.

Please see the attachment for the error I am getting while formatting the hard disk

Thanks,
Anubhav

laithbsoul
December 11th, 2010, 08:55 AM
you could burn gparted live cd and use that to format your hdd http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php