PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation/Network ?'s help!

gixxxerjoe
December 6th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I'm a newb to UBUNTU, or anything linux for that matter, so please bare with me. Also not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, if so, I apologize in advance. So here is the situation: I am currently running a compaq presario laptop thats a few years old, about 2-3. I'm running windows7 on it with an amd sempron processor and 4gb ram, so it's not completely outdate yet.

Today I decided I would go to the "dark side" and try out linux. I downloaded ubuntu 10.10 for netbook (UNE?), installed it on a usb flashdrive, and rebooted. Entered bios, changed the boot order to boot first from usb. Upon booting, I was given the option to install 10.10 or run it directly from the usb (im guessing this is equivalent to a "Live CD"). I was able to enter "UBUNTU" as the usernm, and leave the pw field blank, and "log on". I was able to play around with some of its features and look around.

I really liked it.

"Lets go for it", I say to myself...

I reboot and choose the option of "installing along side existing OS". (DUAL BOOT). Everything seems to be going fine, it copies all the files, etc., etc., asks me for my time zone, computer name, usernm/pw.... And that's where I get stuck. It says something about trying to get the time info/data/whatever from the server.

I tried connecting to the internet to no avail. I tried messing with the wireless settings on UBUNTU, I tried to connect it directly through Ethernet (Hardwire), but nothing seems to work?

When I had it hardwired, it did show the connection, and that it had 100mbps speed. I tried adding the dns settings to match what I have on my desktop, but nothing worked! I know I am missing something here, and have tried the search option, and have read multiple threads here, but can't seem to find someone that has or had the same issue. I thank you in advance for any help!
:popcorn:

gixxxerjoe
December 7th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Bump for some help please.

Finnius
December 7th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Gday,

Just to clarify a point before i proceed...
Do you mean that the OS is fully installed and running and you are having trouble connecting to the Internet?
If so: what connection would you like to make, wired or wireless?

gixxxerjoe
December 7th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Gday,

Just to clarify a point before i proceed...
Do you mean that the OS is fully installed and running and you are having trouble connecting to the Internet?
If so: what connection would you like to make, wired or wireless?

Finnius, I was in the process of installing. It seems that to complete the install, it requires a network connection. I tried both directly from the router (wired), and wireless. Neither seemed to work. I'm not sure how to configure the network settings so that the connection works.

Edit to add: Either connection would be fine at this point, as I would just like to complete the install.

Thanks

Finnius
December 7th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Righto,

I have installed many versions of Ubuntu and it has never wanted to use the Internet to update time etc.
I suspect this is due to the fact that i usually install it on a PC that is not connected to the Internet...
If i was you i would install it without any Internet cable plugged in.

Thats all i can think of and it has always worked for me...

I would give that a try and see if it works.

cya

gixxxerjoe
December 7th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks, I'm giving it another shot now.

gixxxerjoe
December 8th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Finnius, thanks for the help, after the files were finished copying, it read, "waiting for you" at the bottom. It would not let me hit the button labeled "Forward." All I had to do was edit my "computer name" field for it to allow me to continue.

I am now speaking with you from that same laptop, but on the UBUNTU 10.10 OS!!! I did however have to to hardwire it to gain internet access, I am not quite sure how to setup wireless access on UBUNTU. That is a project for another day!

Thanks again,

Joe

Finnius
December 8th, 2010, 12:05 PM
No problemo gixxxerjoe,

Hope you like Ubuntu!

Feel free to ask for help setting up a wireless Internet connection in Ubuntu.

Cya

Rizwanm
December 8th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hey thanks for u r information .... i have installed lot of ubuntu softwares its good :)

Regards
Razwan