PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP! Ubuntu Live does not recognize internet connection

David Cash
December 6th, 2010, 03:56 AM
As a long-time Windows user, forgive my naivete but I'm new to Linux.
On trying to install Ubuntu 10.10, one PC was fine. I attempted to install it on a Lenovo Q150 using the Ubuntu Live CD, but it did not recognize a network connection. When the same PC is running Windows 7, the network connection is fine (it recognizes my NAS drive also). Has anyone else had this problem/found a solution?
I'm sure that someone else has posted this, but a couple of hours' searching revealed nothing.
THANKS IN ADVANCE

Quackers
December 6th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Welcome to UF :-)
Have you tried connecting the machine to the router using an ethernet cable and running System > Admin > Hardware drivers (or additional drivers) to see if a driver is available for your wireless card?
Do you know which wireless network card you are using?

David Cash
December 6th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Thanks for your reply (that's one of the reasons people need to switch to Linux - it's great to experience people helping each other!). I don't think I explained my setup too well. I have Verizon Fios in to a cable modem attached (wired) to which are two PCs, a NAS drive and (I know this bit's messed up and I need to sort it out) a Linksys router. My wife connects wirelessly to this router. So both of the PCs I have tried Ubuntu live with are wired. Hence the mystery, since one of them is fine, and the other displays the "no network connection" icon. In Windows, the network is fairly robust, and everyone can see everyone else. Hope this explains things better...

Quackers
December 6th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Actually my suggestion was not a valid one as I now realise you are on the Live cd rather than an installation. My mistake.
As I have no experience with a similar setup to yours I am unable to offer any advice at all.
I would suggest that your questions may be better answered in the Wireless and Networking section of this forum.
There may be people more experienced over there :-)

David Cash
December 6th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Thanks! - I'll try that (I was sure I'd post something in the wrong place or do SOMETHING wrong on my first day lol

All the best

Quackers
December 6th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Good luck :-)
To save you typing it again you could click on the Report abuse bit below your Beans count and ask a moderator to move the post.