PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade trouble

1moreNewbie
December 6th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Hi! I am trying to upgrade from 8.04 Ubuntu to 8.10 but I keep getting the message "Could not find release notes" with a smaller note: server may be overloaded. I have tried multiple times and always get the same message. Why would this be?

Thanks, 1moreNewbie

zvacet
December 6th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Ubuntu 8.10 is not supported any more.That is why you can not upgrade to that version.Iīm not on Ubuntu right now but in system>admin>synaptic you will find option to upgrade to LTS (other option is normal releases,but you donīt need that right now).After that update your Hardy and then upgrade via update manager to Lucid ( Ubuntu 10.4).

1moreNewbie
December 7th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Ubuntu 8.10 is not supported any more.That is why you can not upgrade to that version.Iīm not on Ubuntu right now but in system>admin>synaptic you will find option to upgrade to LTS (other option is normal releases,but you donīt need that right now).After that update your Hardy and then upgrade via update manager to Lucid ( Ubuntu 10.4).
Zvacet; Thanks for your help. Since 8.10 is no longer supported, that would certainly explain why I can't upgrade to it. I also just realized that, since 8.04 is still under LTS, I really don't need to upgrade just yet. Can I upgrade directly to 10.04 by the method you suggested? I ask only because I saw another post that said I must upgrade to 8.10 first. Thanks again.

sikander3786
December 7th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Zvacet; Thanks for your help. Since 8.10 is no longer supported, that would certainly explain why I can't upgrade to it. I also just realized that, since 8.04 is still under LTS, I really don't need to upgrade just yet. Can I upgrade directly to 10.04 by the method you suggested? I ask only because I saw another post that said I must upgrade to 8.10 first. Thanks again.
Yes you can directly upgrade from one LTS to another.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades#Upgrade%20from%208.04%20LTS%20to%201 0.04%20LTS