PDA

View Full Version : What distros do you use in Virtual Box?

rend
December 5th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Here is a screenie of what I currently like to mess around with.

kaldor
December 6th, 2010, 12:40 AM
RedStar OS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_OS)

NightwishFan
December 6th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I keep up with the development of Haiku (not linux) and sometimes bounce between OpenSUSE, Fedora, Debian, to see what is new.

CharlesA
December 6th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS are the main ones.

marl30
December 6th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Different Distros that spark my interest, which is usually a long list

3Miro
December 6th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Every new distro that try first goes through Virtual Box. None of them stay there, there is no point, remove them as soon as I see if they work (and if I like then then I install them standalone so that I can get full power).

Khakilang
December 6th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Window XP because my darn Lexmark all in one printer couldn't do any scanning with Linux.

ilovelinux33467
December 6th, 2010, 07:51 AM
On my openSUSE laptop and desktop here are distros I use in VirtualBox:

Kubuntu 10.10
Fedora 14 KDE
openSUSE 11.2 KDE
openSUSE 11.4 M3 KDE
openSUSE 11.4 M4 KDE
FreeBSD 8.1 KDE

karthick87
December 6th, 2010, 07:53 AM
- Fedora
- Debian
- Suse

Chrismont
December 6th, 2010, 07:55 AM
God, I feel like such a n00b saying this, but what is virtual box, and what can it do?

TNT1
December 6th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I use xp in virtualbox, but now that I have 7 in vmwareplayer, I am considering dumping virtualbox.:o

Spice Weasel
December 6th, 2010, 10:38 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/2z9mn0z.png

I used to have Alpine Linux and OpenBSD in the VM as well, but there's no point for that now because I have them on my laptop.

Lancro
December 6th, 2010, 01:59 PM
As I discovered that virtualization doesnt use the GPU I dont virtualice anything.

desnaike
December 6th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I use out of curiosity

Opensuse 11.3
Mandriva 2010
Mepis 8.5
Puppy Linux
Fedora

Ubuntu keeps winning for me.

if4124l
December 6th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I'm downloading ubuntu 11.04 now, and have Jolicloud 1.0 and ChromeOS, but I can't seem to get it to work in virtualbox. :(

samalex
December 6th, 2010, 03:13 PM
For me here's what I have on my laptop:
- Ubuntu Server 10.04
- Windows XP
- Haiku OS
- FreeDOS

I'd love to install OS/2 but my boxed copy of OS/2 has WAY too many floppies for me to bother with. Also to those who have OSX running, how'd you get it installed? I have a purchased copy of OSX 10.5 I'd love to setup in VirtualBox, but I haven't found a way to get it working. And I don't want to run a hacked copy.

Take care --

Sam

eriktheblu
December 6th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Mythbuntu 9.04 (for compatibility with with my backend, now unused since I upgraded said backend)
Windows 2000 (for work related stuff)
FreeDOS
Ubuntu 10.04 minimal (experimentation)
Chrome OS (evaluation)
Arch (experimentation and evaluation)

cyberphrog
December 6th, 2010, 04:01 PM
XP. I also run Ubuntu on my Mac with VBox.

themarker0
December 7th, 2010, 01:37 AM
I run
Ubuntu
Feduntu
FreeBSD
PC-BSD
Windows 98
Windows 2000
Windows XP

smellyman
December 7th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Every new distro that try first goes through Virtual Box. None of them stay there, there is no point, remove them as soon as I see if they work (and if I like then then I install them standalone so that I can get full power).

I do the same

Danny Dubya
December 7th, 2010, 02:47 AM
I run
Windows 98

How's that working for you? I could never quite get Win98 set up decently in VBox.

tadcan
December 7th, 2010, 02:51 AM
It is software that pretends to be computer hardware, so you can install an OS inside virtualbox to test it out.

julio_cortez
December 7th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Debian, at the moment. But I'm considering to try Ubuntu Studio, Arch or Sabayon just for fun..
I know it's kind of sad trying new OS's "just for fun", but well..

Spice Weasel
December 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM

I'm sure that most people here have done it.

julio_cortez
December 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I'm sure that most people here have done it.Oh, me too of course. It wasn't meant to be deceiving indeed ;)

Shintek
December 7th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Debian, at the moment. But I'm considering to try Ubuntu Studio, Arch or Sabayon just for fun..
No its not, why spend time installing an OS and finding out its buggy as hell? (Windows 7 for an example, that's right GATES, your current OS SUCKS)
It's an much more efficient way to get to know your favourite OS.

andymorton
December 7th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I tried the 'major' distros in virtual box, i.e. Fedora, Open Suse, Debian, Linux Mint. I've also tried Crunchbang which I was really impressed with. I've contemplated putting on my netbook.

andy

airplanesimen
December 7th, 2010, 03:14 PM
God, I feel like such a n00b saying this, but what is virtual box, and what can it do?

hello, you're not a n00b saying that? Virtualbox is a virtual machine manager for Linux. when you are installing it, you can simply run different operating systems inside Linux. if you want a closer look, just visit oracle's homepage for the virtualbox--> http://www.virtualbox.org/
hope this was helpful:mrgreen:

TNT1
December 8th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Oh, I also just made a new vm with Haiku... Seems like the most pointless distro ever...:popcorn:

NightwishFan
December 8th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Haiku is awesome! It is actually not Linux, it is a resurrection of the famous BEOS.

TNT1
December 8th, 2010, 09:39 AM
It is actually not Linux, it is a resurrection of the famous BEOS.

Yeah, I know that, it just promotes itself as a desktop os, and I can't even figure out how to open a spreadsheet... Ah, maybe it's just me. I'll try reading the help thing or something. But I'm not really interested in learning how to do simple tasks anymore.

Johnsie
December 8th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I use VMWare Player and Esxi Server 4.0... If VirtualBox develop a way to import and export VMWare machines then I would consider using VB again.

unknownPoster
December 8th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I use VMWare Player and Esxi Server 4.0... If VirtualBox develop a way to import and export VMWare machines then I would consider using VB again.

Same here. I find the VMWare line of products to be far superior to Virtualbox.

Spice Weasel
December 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I know that, it just promotes itself as a desktop os, and I can't even figure out how to open a spreadsheet... Ah, maybe it's just me. I'll try reading the help thing or something. But I'm not really interested in learning how to do simple tasks anymore.

Haiku is designed for multimedia use (real time 3d rendering, video editing etc), not opening spreadsheets.

But if you want, there's probably a port of Abiword/Gnumeric. There is for most platforms.

unknownPoster
December 8th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Haiku is designed for multimedia use (real time 3d rendering, video editing etc), not opening spreadsheets.

But if you want, there's probably a port of Abiword/Gnumeric. There is for most platforms.

On top of that, Haiku is only in it's second alpha release. As such, it's arguably still not ready for full time applications.