PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] error in package manager

elsneakums
December 5th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I installed a aac decoder when prompted by firefox today to watch live Ween, now i get the following error and the red button:

Could not initialise the package information

An unresolvable problem occurred while initialising the package information.

Please report this bug for the 'update-manager' package and try to include the following error message:

'E:Problem parsing dependency Conflicts, E:Error occurred while processing linux-libc-dev (NewVersion1), E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

AliPM
December 14th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Running 9.04 on an Elonex Webbook. Had a similar problem after I had no internet connection for a couple of weeks. Getting the red stop sign on top panel, can't run Update Manager. Error message as follows:

#
Could not initialise the package information

An unresolvable problem occurred while initialising the package information.

Please report this bug for the 'update-manager' package and try to include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_jaunty-updates_restricted_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'
#

Thanks in advance for help. If no-one's got any ideas I might just reinstall Ubuntu... again.