PDA

View Full Version : Help a noob with KDE 3.3 Install

Shintek
December 5th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Hi people of Ubuntu forums.

I've recently visited the theaters, and went seeing the movie "The Social Network 2010"

The movie is about the development of Facebook, how it was made etc,
sometimes you can see his desktop enviroment for a couple of seconds,
So I googled some linux distributions, and recognized the OS by the start menu logo,
Its KDE 3.3

But since I've only used windows (which's suck ratio keeps increasing), I wouldnt have a clue how-to.
Also been using ubuntu for a while, linux mint before that, I love ubuntu, I have it on my laptop

But I am dying to try KDE 3.3!

But when I visit KDE.Org there is this alien language that tells me to compile the source?

I wouldnt know how to do this, since im used to this:

Download ISO
Burn ISO
Boot
Install

Anybody kind enough and willing to help me?

// Shintek

Joeb454
December 5th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Thread moved to Desktop Environments

Shintek
December 5th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Thread moved to Desktop Environments
Thanks, as I had no access to that section of the forum!

3Miro
December 5th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I don't know anyone still using KDE 3.3, everyone is moving over to 4.4 or 4.5. You can try CentOS which still comes with KDE 3.5, which is very similar to 3.3 (Debian might also have 3.5).

Shintek
December 5th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I don't know anyone still using KDE 3.3, everyone is moving over to 4.4 or 4.5. You can try CentOS which still comes with KDE 3.5, which is very similar to 3.3 (Debian might also have 3.5).
Thanks, but im looking specifically for KDE 3.3, effort is appreciated!

Just have to wait on anybody who still has it in his posession...

BcRich
December 5th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Hi Shintek
LOL re:windows "suck ratio keeps increasing".
Since you put it so eloquently :) I'm sure there are many people that would like to help you get Kubuntu up and running.
The easiest way of installing Kubuntu (if you're not too concerned about having a particular version number over stability) and keeping your current Ubuntu configuration is to do so through Synaptic if you are using Ubuntu.
In Synaptic 0.62.5 click Edit>Mark Packages by Task>Check the box that says "Kubuntu Desktop">OK>Apply
You will probably need to be connected to the internet so synaptic can download the necessary files and automatically install them for you. During installation you might be asked to choose a default desktop environment either gdm (standard Ubuntu) or kdm (Kubuntu). You can choose either, when you log out and log in again you will be able to select either desktop environment without having to restart your computer.
Well, that's the way I have it set up and it works fine for me. This also allows me to run KDE software in Gnome or vice versa (which some people find quite disagreeable, but I find to be extremely useful :) )

macogw
December 6th, 2010, 07:12 PM
3.3 hasn't been around in... 6 years at least. You realise you'd be running completely unpatched, insecure, buggy software...right?

Anyway, I think if you can dig up a copy of Slackware 9.1, it should have it.

Simian Man
December 6th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks, but im looking specifically for KDE 3.3, effort is appreciated!

KDE 3.5 is functionally and aesthetically incredibly similar to 3.3. The only difference is that it has bug-fixes and perhaps some extra features. There's really no reason I can think of (even nostalgia) to run 3.3 instead of 3.5. Download CentOS and use KDE as your desktop and you will have the same experience.

Shintek
December 6th, 2010, 11:20 PM
KDE 3.5 is functionally and aesthetically incredibly similar to 3.3. The only difference is that it has bug-fixes and perhaps some extra features. There's really no reason I can think of (even nostalgia) to run 3.3 instead of 3.5. Download CentOS and use KDE as your desktop and you will have the same experience.
But KDE 3.3 has the yellow logo and 3.4+ has a blue one :(

BcRich
December 6th, 2010, 11:31 PM
ha ha ha most excellent point Shintek, the yellow logo is definitely worth the mission. good luck :)

snowpine
December 6th, 2010, 11:32 PM

You want to use 6-year old, buggy, insecure software because it has a yellow logo? :(

Anyway, stop by KDE Look (http://kde-look.org) and you'll find that you can make KDE look like anything you want! This is Linux, you are NEVER stuck with a default color, size, appearance, etc... you can customize anything you want. :)

Simian Man
December 7th, 2010, 04:03 AM

LOL can't argue with that.

Shintek
December 7th, 2010, 11:40 AM
LOL can't argue with that.

Thanks for the help everybody, I'll remember the advice, so it wasnt wasted effort!

I banned windows from my hard drive yesterday lol

every single pc in my parents house is running on Ubuntu now LOL

"Damn, ubuntu is pretty fast"

Edit:

Ok so I found this mirror

http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-9.1-iso/

The CD's 2 and up are just extra packages if im not mistaken

Im just going to install it on my ice-age pc for fun :)