View Full Version : [SOLVED] Two ata 40gig hdd.

December 5th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I'm running into problems left and right with my dell desktop. I've been getting errors at login about powermanagement not installed correctly and just keeps going back to login screen(I fixed this problem). I'm trying to make homemovie dvds to play in dvd player(I've got this going). I've successfully made one dvd and now I'm trying to make more, but I get an error message about no space left. The power management error seems to also be related to space on the hdd. I'm not a big techie but I have a question. This dell desktop has a 40gig WD hdd. It had windows xp professional and I've exclusively installed ubuntu 10.04. I've been putting alot of different programs(antivirus,devede,mandvd,drummachine,brase ro,games...ect.ect...). I also have another dell desktop that had a 40gig maxtor hdd in it and I placed it in this computer(along w/ the memory). The maxtor hdd is showing on my desktop(mounted). This hdd also has windows xp professional on it( I might mess around w/ it later). When I go to disk usage analyzer it shows I have about 73 gigs of total hdd and 24.6% usage but it doesn't show them as separate hdd. I know the programs are on my WD hdd but can I move programs,games to the separate maxtor hdd and still have a functioning system? I'm thinking,even though it says I have plenty of space left, that the original hdd has all my ubuntu programs,filesystems,directories, on this drive and this is causing problems.

December 5th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I can only give you the benefit of my own experiences with ata drive problems and hope it helps. when ever I had these kind of problems setting the drives as master and slave seemed to solve my problems on my presario 5000 thats the only config that worked. It would be great if it were that simple for you.

good luck.

January 17th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I will post this as solved,because I bought a 250gig hard drive and installed it so hopefully I won't have anymore "space" issues. Thanks.