PDA

View Full Version : Save as .wwf save a tree

DoeNietWil
December 5th, 2010, 02:06 PM
The wwf has made a new format, and it fails kinda hard.
It is basically the pdf file format, without the possibility to print

Might be a great thing to implement thought.
Find it here http://www.saveaswwf.com it is only for mac yet

NCLI
December 5th, 2010, 02:25 PM
The wwf has made a new format, and it fails kinda hard.
It is basically the pdf file format, without the possibility to print

Might be a great thing to implement thought.
Find it here http://www.saveaswwf.com it is only for mac yet
I think everyone in the private and public should be force to use it instead of .pdf. It would save a lot of unnecessary prints.

cammin
December 5th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Think of all the energy wasted to come up with this, only to have someone come along in a week or so to make it printable.

teh603
December 5th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Think of all the energy wasted to come up with this, only to have someone come along in a week or so to make it printable.I dunno about everyone else, but I won't use it unless there is an option to make it printable. This stinks of corporate meddling.

Christian Knudsen
December 5th, 2010, 03:00 PM
For some reason I can only see the German version of that site. If I try to select "English" at the bottom, it still goes to the German site...

ssam
December 5th, 2010, 03:01 PM
the pdf format has supported this for ages. openoffice (and lots of other software) can set the no print flag on a file. however it is up to the pdf viewer to enforce it.

so this will stop printing about as much as DRM stops piracy.

Random_Dude
December 5th, 2010, 03:13 PM
It's a waste of time.
If you're not going to print it, then you're going to spend energy by having your PC turned on for hours in order to read the file.
Why can't you just encourage people to recycle?

DoeNietWil
December 5th, 2010, 05:10 PM
i do think it would be great if ubuntu implemented it, it could be promoted as a true 'green' os.

RiceMonster
December 5th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I think everyone in the private and public should be force to use it instead of .pdf. It would save a lot of unnecessary prints.

But what about the necessary ones?

Mr. Picklesworth
December 5th, 2010, 06:12 PM
It's a waste of time.
If you're not going to print it, then you're going to spend energy by having your PC turned on for hours in order to read the file.
Why can't you just encourage people to recycle?

Because recycling is what you do after you try reducing your consumption and reusing stuff directly.

This isn't really about individuals printing files (or at least it shouldn't be), but about insane corporations that think we still use slide rules.

Having said that, I agree: reading stuff on a computer is worse, with some variation depending on who generates your power. For me a good bit of it is hydro, so the environmental damage is already done…
However, I think technology like e-ink will help us there in the not too distant future.

And does anyone actually think this is about the file format?!
It's about the discussion. WWF is not a software foundation ;)

juancarlospaco
December 5th, 2010, 06:13 PM
You can print .wwf anyways, a big fail.

teh603
December 5th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Because recycling is what you do after you try reducing your consumption and reusing stuff directly.

This isn't really about individuals printing files (or at least it shouldn't be), but about insane corporations that think we still use slide rules.

Having said that, I agree: reading stuff on a computer is worse, with some variation depending on who generates your power. For me a good bit of it is hydro, so the environmental damage is already done…
However, I think technology like e-ink will help us there in the not too distant future.

And does anyone actually think this is about the file format?!
It's about the discussion. WWF is not a software foundation ;)Like I said, it stinks of DRM and corporate meddling. What next, self-destruct codes in files to render them unusable after a certain date?

Course, I also don't like NBR/Unity and Cloud Computing; and they're both stupidly popular...

DoeNietWil
December 7th, 2010, 09:30 PM
You can print .wwf anyways, a big fail.
really?
Can you proof that?
if that's the case it would be a huge fail

koenn
December 7th, 2010, 09:49 PM
For some reason I can only see the German version of that site. If I try to select "English" at the bottom, it still goes to the German site...

try here: http://www.saveaswwf.com/en/home.html

handy
December 7th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I've an old Laserjet 5, which is connected to the LAN. I haven't bothered setting it up to work on Arch or OS X. It probably hasn't printed since Ubuntu Breezy!

On the extremely rare occasion that I do need to print something (maybe once or twice a year, if that) I just send the file to my wife's computer & use her printer.

I really don't need a printer at all.