PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't add user to Encrypted installation

opus1
December 5th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 and decided to encrypt the entire hard drive for the first time. I followed the tutorial on how to install Ubuntu and encrypt the hard drive during installation, located here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1205372&highlight=cryptsetup

Everything worked as planned, however, I cannot successfully add a user. Specifically, I can add a user account, but when that user logs in, they receive an error stating: "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/username/.ICEauthority". Closing this window results in a second error: "There is a problem with the configuration server. (/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)". Then I get errors stating that Nautilus could not create the Desktop or .nautilus folders. After this, the computer hangs indefinitely at the desktop wall paper.

I have googled these errors and found several different solutions, none of which have worked. I have looked in the user director and there is no .ICEauthority file to change permissions on.

I suspect that this has to do with the encryption I did, but an evening of looking through google has resulted in no joy.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

opus1
December 5th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I fixed the problem... it was a permissions problem. I issued a

sudo chown -R user:user *
within my home directory. Apparently it was recursive up through the parents and changed the owner of the /home directory from "root" to "user". That's why other users couldn't access anything within /home.

I learned 2 lessons:

Don't change owners recursively from within a directory
Don't do this stuff at one in the morning