PDA

View Full Version : Possible pci-e size problem?

Dustin2128
December 5th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Sorry I couldn't make the title less ambiguous, but anyway, here's my problem: I've gotten a hold of a nice pentium D 64-bit machine with a monster cooling system clearly designed for overclocking, the only things its really missing are a dedicated graphics card and more RAM. Anyway, after opening the case today, I noticed that the PCI-e x16 slot is extremely close to the ram clips (nearly imperceptible clearance if any); so much so that I'm worried if the enormous 10.5" graphics card I'm about to buy will fit (case draws up that problem too, but I think it looks like it's *just* over 11 inches empty space from front to back). I'm wondering: does anyone know if there are motherboards like that (preventing large expansion cards because of obstructions)? I'll post a picture whenever I can find a camera.

GabrielYYZ
December 5th, 2010, 05:02 AM
there are a couple mobos that have a really big southbridge chipset that makes using those really long video cards impossible.

i don't remember the models right now, i'll go check tigerdirect to see if i can find the ones i'm talking about.

CharlesA
December 5th, 2010, 05:11 AM
The mobo I've got in my HTPC is like that, as is the current mobo that is living in my desktop.

It's where it's hard to close the tabs holding the memory in without pushing down on the memory itself (which is what you are supposed to do).

But yeah, run into it before, but haven't had any problems with them being too close.

conradin
December 5th, 2010, 05:15 AM
I think they make variety of extenders. Its hard to say what you should do without seeing the problem. the Link is just one of many slot extender vendors. Additionally, depending on what you do, you may have to modify your
card or case.
http://www.ameri-rack.com/PCI-EXPRESS.htm

cascade9
December 5th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Sorry I couldn't make the title less ambiguous, but anyway, here's my problem: I've gotten a hold of a nice pentium D 64-bit machine with a monster cooling system clearly designed for overclocking, the only things its really missing are a dedicated graphics card and more RAM. Anyway, after opening the case today, I noticed that the PCI-e x16 slot is extremely close to the ram clips (nearly imperceptible clearance if any); so much so that I'm worried if the enormous 10.5" graphics card I'm about to buy will fit (case draws up that problem too, but I think it looks like it's *just* over 11 inches empty space from front to back). I'm wondering: does anyone know if there are motherboards like that (preventing large expansion cards because of obstructions)? I'll post a picture whenever I can find a camera.

Apart from some pretty rare cases (like GabrielYYZ said, but in 95%+ of cases the southbridge only bolcoks the 2nd/3rd PCIe slot, not the primary), Its normally length thats the problem, not clearance to the RAM chips. I've had more than a few motherboards where you HAVE to remove the video card to install/remove RAM chips.

I think I've still got one downstairs, a Asus P4S 8X.