PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Calculator Does Not Launch in 10.10 PPC

funnysnoot
December 5th, 2010, 12:24 AM
When I try to launch the Calculator from the Applications menu I get the "Starting Calculator" tab in the bottom panel, but the application never launches and the tab disappears after a few seconds.

Anybody have this problem or know how to solve it?

shawnhcorey
December 5th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Try launching it from a terminal to see if it outputs any error message.

funnysnoot
December 5th, 2010, 12:40 AM
So I typed in gcalctool in terminal and got the following:

GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gnome.gcalctool' is not installed

aborting...
Aborted

shawnhcorey
December 5th, 2010, 01:00 AM
This may help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1568056

funnysnoot
December 5th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the input shawnhcorey, but, alas, still getting the same error message. Basically the gist of the thread you referred to instructed me to install/purge empathy and gcalctool. Interestingly, I get the same error when I try to launch empathy. Now, I wonder...what are the "settings schema" I am missing for these packages?

shawnhcorey
December 5th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I have no idea what's wrong or what the error messages mean. Running the app in a terminal often gives you an error message you can google for, to see if anyone else has the same problem. Beyond that, I don't know.

funnysnoot
December 5th, 2010, 03:19 AM
After some extensive Googling, I found a thread on bug.launchpad.net that suggested I enable the maverick-proposed repository and update the glib 2.26 package. I did that, and it seems the problem has been solved.

Hopefully, someone else who runs into this same issue finds this thread helpful.

Nevertheless, thanks for answering my question shawnhcorey.