PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] the everlasting sluggish kubuntu

fahd
December 4th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I have been using linux for 11 years. I am a devout linux user. I like kde. During the last 6 years i recognised that, kde became buggy thus it is always sluggish and bloated. Also I have been using kubuntu for 3 years, and i get the same results, buggy ..etc. It seems that the kde development should be rethinked, so it is not shame to rewrite the code from scratch. What ever version you get from kde, it will stay on that spot of bugs and wrong libs. My regards.

Fahd

inobe
December 5th, 2010, 05:35 AM
i think you are mistaken, i believe you are using the kde base system and you haven't added the kde repo that involves building.

the base system after installing kubuntu from live cd is at best buggy, this will apply to any live cd, even opensuse live cd, however if you went ahead and downloaded opensuse "DVD" you will have a better experience because the dvd includes the extra kde packages a live "cd" cannot possibly store ;)

please include your system specs, i have an older 6year old hp running kubuntu and opensuse 11.3

3Miro
December 5th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Kubuntu is a bad example of KDE, everything in the Ubuntu repos is oriented towards Gnome, so naturally Kubuntu has some issues.

For good KDE distros check out: Sabayon, Slackware, Arch (somewhat more advanced), Mandriva, PCLinuxOS. I have not used OpenSusa so I cannot comment on it.

Overall I find KDE very stable, there may be an issue with your hardware. KDE likes Nvidia and dislikes ATI. Intel's video is not too good either.

desnaike
December 5th, 2010, 02:56 PM
i think you are mistaken, i believe you are using the kde base system and you haven't added the kde repo that involves building.

the base system after installing kubuntu from live cd is at best buggy, this will apply to any live cd, even opensuse live cd, however if you went ahead and downloaded opensuse "DVD" you will have a better experience because the dvd includes the extra kde packages a live "cd" cannot possibly store ;)

please include your system specs, i have an older 6year old hp running kubuntu and opensuse 11.3

I would have to agree, with kubuntu 10.04 it was buggy my biggest problem was getting compiz to work reliably after enabling the kde repos and upgrading to kde 4.5SC stable I have no bugs and a fully working compiz system is fast and stable worth a try I think.

inobe
December 5th, 2010, 07:30 PM
10.10 with kde 4.5.4, opensuse 11.3 with kde 4.5.4

the first thing i do when installing any distribution is add the repositories and build the desktop environment, i refuse to use a crappy base system.

Spiritfall
December 5th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I love KDE but I have issues with it's performance. The Xorg process is usually using 10 - 20% of my CPU (I have an old Sempron 2600+) and there are times when Xorg is using over 80 or 90%. In the last year I kept switching between KDE and Gnome. I don't know which one to use. I like Gnome's speed but I also like the features of KDE.

inobe
December 5th, 2010, 09:05 PM
older computers were designed for lightweight 2d desktop environments similar to xp's desktop, not much going on in the way of graphics, a 2d video driver allowed for max resolution and nothing more.

newer operating systems like win7, kubuntu, vista, opensuse 11.3 with kde we have the ability to run a 3d desktop, these desktops run on the heavy side and require a decent graphics card with efficient memory and 3d capabilities.

some i know discovered they had an agp port on their computers and purchased video cards to run these desktops nicely, this also helps with taking the stress from the cpu and allows the gpu to do the work freeing up cpu usage for applications.

what is the make and model of your computer ?

Spiritfall
December 5th, 2010, 09:09 PM
It was bought on parts I think. My video card is Nvidia GeForce FX5500 and I have 2 GB of RAM.
Well I guess I'll use Gnome until I buy a new PC.

inobe
December 5th, 2010, 09:37 PM
It was bought on parts I think. My video card is Nvidia GeForce FX5500 and I have 2 GB of RAM.

go around and check stores for 6800 to 7800 series nvidia agp cards with 256mb memory and up, you shouldn't spend much, i would search ebay and try to score one for under 40 dollars, anymore than that is too much, manufactures don't make this anymore, they only manufacture the crappy 6200's.

consider rebuilding and moving towards pci-e interface if push comes to shove.

Spiritfall
December 5th, 2010, 09:50 PM
ok thank you for your help