PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know this solitaire game?

theraje
December 4th, 2010, 08:20 PM
There was this old solitaire card game my mom used to love to play back in our DOS days that I'm trying to find for her. The game was called "Midnight Oil", but I looked it up, found it was another name for La Belle Lucie. I showed my mom how that is played, but she said that wasn't it. I imagine the author of the software was unaware of the La Belle Lucie game being known under the same title.

All she can remember (it's been a little over 15 years since she last played it... our house burned down in '95, and we haven't had it since) as far as how to play is:

All cards are placed face-up, with all indexes visible.
To make a set, you need two cards that add up to 13... for example, a 7 and 6, or a K and an A, or a Q and a 2, etc.
You win when all cards have been paired into sets.

She can't remember things like whether the suits have to match, how the tableau is set up, etc., so that's really all I have to go on. If this rings any bells for anyone, it would mean a lot to me if you could send some more information my way.

whiskeylover
December 4th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I *think* its called Pyramid in some card game packs.

theraje
December 4th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Hey whiskeylover! Thanks for the tip. I think she said the cards were arranged in piles, she never said anything about the pyramid-style tableau. It sounds very similar apart from that, though.

I found a game called Baroness that sounds closer, but I haven't shown Mom how that's played yet. In that one, you have five piles, and if you don't have any pairs of cards that make 13, you add a card to each pile.

In any case, I'll go and check to see how hot or cold we are. :) Thanks!!