PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installed Ubuntu... now what?

unit_g83
December 4th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Hi All,

Firstly, thank you to anyone who can assist.

I had a serious virus on windows, and the simplest way to fix was a re-install of the OS. I've got the PC back up and running, but do not have a working CD burner, or access to any large USB sticks at this stage.

i used the windows installer for Ubuntu. Everything went fine - downloaded the install files, set up started and completed. I was presented with the standard choice of reboot now, or reboot later to finalise the install.

I choose "reboot now" and nothing happened. I waited about 10 minutes. Still nothing happened. So i rebooted using the Start menu.

I kept alert and looked at all boot up screens but saw no options for using Ubuntu there. I waited until the PC fully restarted and went to programs. No Ubuntu there.

But Ubuntu has definitely installed itself on my system, as all the folders and several Gb of space has been taken.

am i missing something? Should I have changed any bios settings for boot up?

I've only allocated 8GB to Ubuntu, and will look to reinstall from scratch with a larger portion if I am happy with it

thanks again and look forward to any replies

idi0tf0wl
December 4th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Rinse and repeat with an install proper (i.e. install via the normal method of disc or usb and select to install it onto the partition you already made for Ubuntu <you really should just wipe out Windows... viruses make me laugh>)

I've found the Windows installer to be about as dependable as Windows itself. Doing the above should do the trick.

And welcome to the community!

resolv_25
December 4th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Hm, never installed Ubuntu from a windows, but during the install, Ubuntu shall notify that there are another OS on your system (Windows in that case), and offer you to change Master Boot Record, t.e, after installation, during the regular boot, shall be menu: Ubuntu
and Windows OS.

Hope that you will get yourself into ubuntu, once when you get use to, you will see beneficial of linux world.
All the best,

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 4th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I don't use WUBI; however, I have read a lot of posts by people having problems with WUBI and Ubuntu 10.10. If you downloaded Ubuntu 10.10, you may what to download Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Long Term Support).

You really don't need a large USB stick, 2 GB is sufficient for the installer. That is, if you want to do a traditional dual boot install.

unit_g83
December 5th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Hey guys,

thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to have a dedicated partition until i get a new HDD. all partitions are in use right now. shame the windows installer is so lame.

i'll give the Ubuntu USB trial a go and boot from there to see how i get along with the OS in general. im sure i'll like it.

One last question though:

seeing as Ubuntu has een 'installed' on my drive, but I can't use it, is it safe to permanently delete the folder, and reclaim my space?

thanks again!

EDIT:

thought i'd give it one more try.

instead of restarting windows, i shut down the pc. found the Ubuntu option this way when turning back on.

went through the install process, got to 100%
then a brief screen appeared (black n white text, barley got a chance to read it, assuming its the equivalent of windows dos etc)
PC restarted, i selected Ubuntu again, then it asked me to select an OS (windows was the only choice - giving options such as e, c esc)
from there on error after error and now only windows loads

any ideas?
thanks in advance!

unit_g83
December 5th, 2010, 04:29 PM
forgot to mention in my last edit, that Windows starts automatically after the grub section fails to go anywhere

ubuntu still appears as an OS from start up, but it doesn't go very far