PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Compatible Installation CD/Live CD ... please specify?

pgibson
December 4th, 2010, 04:31 PM
In drs305's standout article HOWTO: Purge and Reinstall Grub 2 from the Live CD (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099), in the section where it says:

From the Live CD:

* If the Ubuntu OS cannot be accessed through the normal boot process (see above), boot a compatible installation CD/Live CD. The Grub 2 files are by default installed in the partition's /boot/grub folder and will be placed in this folder if the commands are run as instructed. (emphasis mine) :)

I'm not certain what precisely means "compatible" here? Is it using the same desktop (K/X)Ubuntu what is installed on the hard drive? Or the same release number (such as, in my case 9.10) or both or just ---well, you get the idea I'm sure.

You are thanksified by me in advance,

P.S. I'll have more questions as I go along merrily trashing my partitions in my hack-n-slash upgrade, but we is learning, learning learning (and we has second computer beside messed up first one).

Ephanies abound.

:biggrin:

wojox
December 4th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Yes, it needs to be 9.10 or higher.

Quackers
December 4th, 2010, 04:49 PM
As in one that uses grub2 as opposed to grub legacy.

pgibson
December 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Many thanks and like that! It's these little details that act as helping hands to we who, for whatever reason, will forever use Ubuntu far more than we ever learn about it.

Peace

Can this be marked solved? How does one do that? Hello? Powers that be? Could you mark this solved for me please?

Yay.