PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.10 stalls while retrieving files

homeuser1
December 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I'm installing 10.10 on a Dell laptop it appears the installation has stalled while retrieving file 26 or 64. It's been on this file for about an hour now. Start over? Any help would be appreciated.

homeuser1
December 4th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Appears that that during the installation process the wired internet connection was lost. Now, I can't regain any connection to the internet. Any ideas?

krishnandu.sarkar
December 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM
While installing unplug your Ethernet cable(if you are using PPPoE), don't use internet while installing, update your system after it gets installed.

homeuser1
December 4th, 2010, 05:25 PM
It appears I'm stuck until I can figure out how to get my internet driver back I guess. Plugging the ethernet cord in doesn't get me connected anymore. I had it while installing 10.10 but then something must have happened while retreiving the files.

dino99
December 4th, 2010, 05:30 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

homeuser1
December 4th, 2010, 05:35 PM
How does this help get my internet back?

dino99
December 4th, 2010, 05:38 PM
How does this help get my internet back?

most of the time its easier and faster to do a clean install again instead of trying to repair a broken one that will not work as it have to.

homeuser1
December 4th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I tried installing 10.4 which didn't help re-establish my LAN connection and now I'm trying 10.10 again. This is really weird.

dino99
December 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM
which network chip/card is used ?

what return: ifconfig or iwconfig?
watch the logs (system admin logviewer)

homeuser1
December 4th, 2010, 06:19 PM
No card or chip shows up. However, I'm pretty sure it is the broadcom 43?? something. I'm on a Dell D600 laptop.

homeuser1
December 4th, 2010, 08:35 PM
These network problems are why Linux will never rule. One moment everything works, the next it doesn't. How do I find what network driver I have? I went all the way back to 9.04 installation to see if my network driver would reappear. No luck.

When I started out this morning, I booted to the 10.10 CD and had 3 green checks for HD space, AC Power and internet connection. During the installation process I lost the network driver. Before installing 10.10 on the harddrive, I did run it live off the CD to make sure everything worked. No problem with internet connection at that time either. Not until I installed 10.10 on my new hard drive did I lose my connection.

krishnandu.sarkar
December 5th, 2010, 07:28 AM
These network problems are why Linux will never rule. One moment everything works, the next it doesn't. How do I find what network driver I have? I went all the way back to 9.04 installation to see if my network driver would reappear. No luck.

When I started out this morning, I booted to the 10.10 CD and had 3 green checks for HD space, AC Power and internet connection. During the installation process I lost the network driver. Before installing 10.10 on the harddrive, I did run it live off the CD to make sure everything worked. No problem with internet connection at that time either. Not until I installed 10.10 on my new hard drive did I lose my connection.

Considering all these things, servers are still on Linux, which uses most of the system resources and networks.

Be patient, and follow what solution is being said.

You can also look at #ubuntu on freenode, if you are impatient. :)