PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu Server 7.10 without needing to boot from usb or cd

teekay13
December 4th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I have an old Gateway Solo 5300 and I plan to use it as a test server running Ubuntu Server 7.10 as an OS. However, the cd drive does not work and the flash drive only works after I log in to windows (xp service pack 2). I am wondering if it is possible to install the ubuntu server OS in windows and replace the already existing windows xp OS. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciate.
Future regards,
Tom

lisati
December 4th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

You also might want to consider installing a newer version of Ubuntu, because 7.10 is 3 years old, and obtaining security and software updates might be problematical.

teekay13
December 4th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I have tried wubi but it does not support the Ubuntu server OS, and I have just downloaded instlux but I cannot open it. When try to it asks for a program to open it with. Please help, I am not experienced with Ubuntu and am desperately trying to replace windowwss xp for it without the need of a usb/cd-the only problem is my computer does not recognize instulx and won't open it. It says it is a GZ file.