PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Music Player?

Dawei87
December 4th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I was just thinking now while I'm using my windows computer how much I dislike most media players in windows, and how much I like rhythmbox and wish I could use it now. I was thinking, since canonical has used rhythmbox to base the ubuntu music store on, why not fork rhythmbox and make an ubuntu music player that could run on windows and mac? If it became popular it could help get the word on ubuntu and linux to other people who otherwise wouldn't know, and I feel like it would expand the customer base of the ubuntu music store. Has anyone heard if this is underway? Does anybody else think this would be a good idea?

NightwishFan
December 4th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Some players such as Amarok are cross platform.
http://windows.kde.org/

LowSky
December 4th, 2010, 08:05 AM
there is always vlc.

persoanlly the ubuntu music store is overpriced compared to amazon.

sidenote canonial is making ubuntuone for windows so it might not be far off

beew
December 4th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Are there not enough Windows only software already? I would rather they spend their precious time and resources in improving existing native Linux programs or making new ones to fill the gaps. Moreover what would be the incentive for most computer users to switch to Linux if all the best open source programs run in Windows?

Just my two cents.

Dawei87
December 4th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Are there not enough Windows only software already? I would rather they spend their precious time and resources in improving existing native Linux programs or making new ones to fill the gaps. Moreover what would be the incentive for most computer users to switch to Linux if all the best open source programs run in Windows?

Just my two cents.

i totally see your point. i dual boot windows and ubuntu atm, and i can totally see that i would boot into linux less if windows had all the applications i like, simply cause all my games are in windows too. but at the same time, i still think there would be enough reasons for me to keep using ubuntu, and i think plenty of other people would feel the same. linux just feels like home to me now. maybe im just not looking in the right places for a music player in windows. i just miss rhythmbox. im using vlc currently because i dont want to install one of the bloated music players like itunes, but all of the lighter programs i find just dont feel up to par.