PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't fill in username info/save screenshot popup

alligoodw
December 3rd, 2010, 06:01 PM
I'm attempting to install Ubuntu 10.10 (new installation using full hard drive) on a Acer Aspire Laptop.

During the installation process, when I get to the screen to input username and password, I can't. After this, I get multiple occurrences of save screenshot popups coming up on the screen.

What gives? It's probably something very simple but I can't figure it out.

Rubi1200
December 3rd, 2010, 08:24 PM
Make sure the username starts with lowercase:

e.g.

Your Name: John Smith

User Name: must be john NOT John

Also, make sure the password conforms to the minimum requirements.

If possible, post a screenshot of what you see to the forums; it may be a bug.

Hope this helps.

sikander3786
December 3rd, 2010, 08:32 PM
+1 to Rubi1200.

And what I'm going to say here might sound dumb but make sure any key is not stuck down specially any Ctrl, Alt, Shift or Print Screen key.

alligoodw
December 3rd, 2010, 10:32 PM
+1 to Rubi1200.

And what I'm going to say here might sound dumb but make sure any key is not stuck down specially any Ctrl, Alt, Shift or Print Screen key.

This doesn't sound crazy at all. I've noticed some debris under the keys before. My system sits near a window unit and its possible I need to air-spray the keyboard. I'll let you know how it goes.

alligoodw
December 4th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Debris under keys was the problem. I cleaned the keys and everything is working as it should. I appreciate the simple, common-sense suggestion and trust others learned as I have.

I really appreciate it!

sikander3786
December 4th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Debris under keys was the problem. I cleaned the keys and everything is working as it should. I appreciate the simple, common-sense suggestion and trust others learned as I have.

I really appreciate it!
Glad to know it was as simple as I thought :P

Keep an eye on Rubi's suggestions above as well. That is a bug in 10.10 installer that it doesn't throw an error when you enter a non-valid user name and just sits there unless you correct the problem. How would one know that there is some problem with the user name if the installer doesn't report it? However that has been fixed for 11.04.

You can mark the thread Solved using Thread Tools near the top of this page.

Happy Ubuntu-ing!

Rubi1200
December 4th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Glad you got it sorted out :)

+1 for sikander3786's common sense suggestion too.

alligoodw
December 6th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Glad you got it sorted out :)

+1 for sikander3786's common sense suggestion too.

Although I've marked the item as solved, I have my concerns. When I woke up this morning, that same 'save screenshot' window was up on my screen. It's possible it might be something else!

Another suggestion I've stumbled upon is as follows:

"System/Preferences/Keyboard Shortcuts

Then either disable the two "Take a screenshot" items, or set them to something else. I have mine at Shift F3 & Shift F4."

I'll have to take a look at this suggestion when I get home from work this afternoon. I'll report on my findings.