PDA

View Full Version : GnuCash Companion for Android

rednus
December 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Hi all... I am a GNC user and wanted to be able to do small things on my android phone on the fly. Luckily I am also a Java/Android developer so I have started developing a companion for android. The android application will be very simple and basic to simple stuff like add transaction or invoice on the phone. I have planned following features for the application:

1. The application works with the XML(Compressed or not) file of the GNC and updates the same file. So the user should use somthing like Dropbox on phone and desktop to access the same file from both places.
2. The phone application has three tabs, Account summary, Quick entry and Other options.
3. On the phone the user can display the account balances, but not edit/create accounts.
4. In quick entry, the user will be able to create transaction, invoice and expense entries
5. Other options include, VIEW customers, vendors, employees, jobs, and "MAY BE" some reports
6. The data will be saved back to the same file so that the user can use that on desktop aswell. No SQL based application is planned yet.
7. App will be installed to SD card by default.

Here are some screenshots of the development so far.

The app will be free on market and will be open source aswell. However to make it work i need some of you to help me out, with some icons and translations and may be even with coding...

Just wanted to find out how many people will be interested and anyone there help.. also any suggestions welcome...

odisseo79
December 3rd, 2010, 07:15 PM
Hi.
I also use Gnucash and I am very attracted by an android app for my phone. I am not a linux geek but I may help you in the translation to italian and in the debug of the application.
Let me know if and how I can help you
Guido

rednus
December 3rd, 2010, 07:40 PM
Hi.
I also use Gnucash and I am very attracted by an android app for my phone. I am not a linux geek but I may help you in the translation to italian and in the debug of the application.
Let me know if and how I can help you
Guido

Hi Guido, thanks for the reply. Thanks for the offer.. I will post further details when I need translations and debug/testing help... keep reading this thread...

andreashanning
December 6th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Hi

I've been looking for a way to use GnuCash on Android for quite some time now, so it's wonderful to hear that something is finally happening! And I think it's a super idea to use Dropbox to manage the GnuCash files, since I already use dropbox to sync the GnuCash files across multiple computers. Adding my phone to that list would just make it even more useful!

I'm looking into buying my first Android device sometime after christmas, but your GnuCash companion will be one of my first downloads! I don't know how much time I have during the spring, but I might be able to do something about a Swedish translation if I have the time.

rednus
December 6th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hi

I've been looking for a way to use GnuCash on Android for quite some time now, so it's wonderful to hear that something is finally happening! And I think it's a super idea to use Dropbox to manage the GnuCash files, since I already use dropbox to sync the GnuCash files across multiple computers. Adding my phone to that list would just make it even more useful!

I'm looking into buying my first Android device sometime after christmas, but your GnuCash companion will be one of my first downloads! I don't know how much time I have during the spring, but I might be able to do something about a Swedish translation if I have the time.

HI andreashanning (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1201048), thanks a lot for showing your interest, and your offer for translations is much appriciated.

Thanks
Shyam

rednus
December 7th, 2010, 12:46 AM
All,

Thanks for your interest.

Blog site is now up and running. All discussions can be done there now.

http://gnc4a.rednus.co.uk

Regards
Shyam

band2headboy
December 21st, 2010, 02:52 PM
Oh my god :)

Well, i can help on portuguese-BR translation if needed :)

P05TMAN
September 30th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Hi all... I am a GNC user and wanted to be able to do small things on my android phone on the fly. Luckily I am also a Java/Android developer so I have started developing a companion for android. The android application will be very simple and basic to simple stuff like add transaction or invoice on the phone. I have planned following features for the application:

1. The application works with the XML(Compressed or not) file of the GNC and updates the same file. So the user should use somthing like Dropbox on phone and desktop to access the same file from both places.
2. The phone application has three tabs, Account summary, Quick entry and Other options.
3. On the phone the user can display the account balances, but not edit/create accounts.
4. In quick entry, the user will be able to create transaction, invoice and expense entries
5. Other options include, VIEW customers, vendors, employees, jobs, and "MAY BE" some reports
6. The data will be saved back to the same file so that the user can use that on desktop aswell. No SQL based application is planned yet.
7. App will be installed to SD card by default.

Here are some screenshots of the development so far.

The app will be free on market and will be open source aswell. However to make it work i need some of you to help me out, with some icons and translations and may be even with coding...

Just wanted to find out how many people will be interested and anyone there help.. also any suggestions welcome...

I would be extremely interested in Gnu cash for Android. Hopefully, I'm not a year too late.

PS-your link for your site is an ftp link to an empty root directory...

sffvba[e0rt
September 30th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I would be extremely interested in Gnu cash for Android. Hopefully, I'm not a year too late.

PS-your link for your site is an ftp link to an empty root directory...

Yup, it is a year too late...

Thread closed