PDA

View Full Version : Are there any more users of Midnight Commander ?

I'mGeorge
December 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
In windows I was used with norton commander, back in the days while I was still a youngster, after that I've switched to wincmd and total commander. Now I'm using Midnight commander as it brings back old memories :-)from those times when I really liked norton commander especially because it was really helpful under MS-DOS.

Any more midnight commander users around here ?

Spice Weasel
December 3rd, 2010, 04:34 PM
No. File managers are for wimps.

I'mGeorge
December 3rd, 2010, 04:44 PM
than I'm a proud midnight commander and pcmanfm wimp user 8-)

Spice Weasel
December 3rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
I was kidding. ;) File managers all right, but I feel they get in the way a little.

The mounting features on some of them are really handy too.

DZ*
December 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
mc is the first thing I install. Some features in mc are kind of hidden, like cd/manipulation of remote directories via fish protocol, but once you discover them it really is an awesome little program.

Guden666
December 3rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
I've been using file managers since DOpus 4.12 on the Amiga, never gotten used to Explorer or Nautilus they just irritate me. Currently using Krusader, barely usable:-(
Tried most of the others but didn't like 'em.

samalex
December 3rd, 2010, 10:49 PM
mc is one of the first apps I install with any new server I install where I'll just have a command line interface, but I can't say I use it much. It has its uses, but it's not my primary way to interact with the file system.

Rodney9
December 4th, 2010, 01:18 AM
mc is always my first install also.

handy
December 4th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I've been using file managers since DOpus 4.12 on the Amiga, never gotten used to Explorer or Nautilus they just irritate me. Currently using Krusader, barely usable:-(
Tried most of the others but didn't like 'em.

Did you have a look at "Worker" it is inspired by Jon Potter's DOpus 4.**. Once I found that & configured it I finally felt like I was home again. :)

It took me a while to get it configured the way I like it, though there is a good base config' to start with. It is extremely powerful with a huge range of commands built in, it is small, just needs X as far as dependencies go (from memory).

I made mine multi-coloured which I'm sure wouldn't appeal to everyone, I've attached a picture, both RMB & LMB can be used on the commands, the dog ears show that there is a RMB command underneath, the bottom bar can be clicked on to cycle through panels of commands (if you have that many), the far left location set can be cycled through using the RMB, I'll post the Config Menu screen picture as well:

Fourcultures
December 4th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Funny you should ask...

I used MC only last night to do a quick backup of my netbook's /home directory to an external hard drive. This was to provide some peace of mind while tinkering with a new and rather flaky upgrade to ubuntu10.10 (which is still freezing on me without warning). And because I couldn't work out how to get to the file manager from the Unity Desktop (have worked it out now - I'm a bit slow).

Some observations:

1) using 'old fashioned' interfaces is a reminder that user interfaces always have an underlying set of metaphors. If you use a particular UI for too long you start to mistake the metaphor for reality. So it's nice to use something like MC for a change of perspective and a nostalgia trip. In my case the nostalgia trip involves remembering that using MS DOS with Norton Commander was a whole heap better than using CP/M on an Amstrad PCW 2856.
2) Where MC scores over a more sophisticated app is that I know it isn't secretly doing something else in the background without telling me. I don't know if you're familiar with the sci-fi books by Iain M Banks. He has a future society called the Culture in which sentient spaceships are far more intelligent than their human occupants These often make momentous decisions for the humans without the humans knowing anything about it. Current computer interfaces are already half way there, I reckon.
3) MC is so much prettier than the command line - all those retro colours!
4) Having said that, using MC does show just how far we've come aesthetically since the DOS Age. Let's face it, some UIs are truly works of art in comparison with MC.
5) Let's not forget MC was started by Miguel De Icaza (http://www.mindtouch.com/blog/2010/03/17/mpv/), so it must be good.

cariboo
December 4th, 2010, 03:13 AM
I use mc daily, so far the only thing I haven't tried with it is to surf the web. :)

Guden666
December 4th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Did you have a look at "Worker" it is inspired by Jon Potter's DOpus 4.**. Once I found that & configured it I finally felt like I was home again. :)

It took me a while to get it configured the way I like it, though there is a good base config' to start with. It is extremely powerful with a huge range of commands built in, it is small, just needs X as far as dependencies go (from memory).

I made mine multi-coloured which I'm sure wouldn't appeal to everyone, I've attached a picture, both RMB & LMB can be used on the commands, the dog ears show that there is a RMB command underneath, the bottom bar can be clicked on to cycle through panels of commands (if you have that many), the far left location set can be cycled through using the RMB, I'll post the Config Menu screen picture as well:

I missed that one, definetly going to try it out, thanks;)

K.Mandla
December 4th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Count me in. Daily use as a file manager, occasional use as an FTP client. Many kinds of awesome in mc. :)

http://ompldr.org/tNmY3Mg (http://ompldr.org/vNmY3Mg)

handy
December 5th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Count me in. Daily use as a file manager, occasional use as an FTP client. Many kinds of awesome in mc. :)

http://ompldr.org/tNmY3Mg (http://ompldr.org/vNmY3Mg)

I have a major problem with how awesome that blue is. Too hard for my eyes to live with.

I'mGeorge
December 5th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I have a major problem with how awesome that blue is. Too hard for my eyes to live with.

well if you don't really like the original mc's bluish theme (which for me it's really nostalgic, as it brings back old memories, so I like it) check out this handy tutorial http://my.opera.com/kurzon/blog/2009/08/08/midnight-commander-col

handy
December 5th, 2010, 01:24 PM
well if you don't really like the original mc's bluish theme (which for me it's really nostalgic, as it brings back old memories, so I like it) check out this handy tutorial http://my.opera.com/kurzon/blog/2009/08/08/midnight-commander-col

I know you can change it. I'm surprised that so many people use it as it is such an intense colour.

When I was young it wouldn't have bothered my eyes I'm sure. ;)

blueturtl
December 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I love MC. <3

In fact, on my main system, I only use MC and command line for managing files. Especially useful to me is the FTP link feature which allows me to handle ftp-sites as if they were local folders.

msandoy
December 5th, 2010, 06:54 PM
How come nobody here mentions Gnome commander? It's basically the same thing, just a bit prettier wrapping.
Personally I always install both MC and Gnome commander.

I'mGeorge
December 9th, 2010, 09:50 AM
How come nobody here mentions Gnome commander? It's basically the same thing, just a bit prettier wrapping.
Personally I always install both MC and Gnome commander.

MC has the advantage that it's opened inside the terminal's window, and you can use it when your GUI ain't working as an easy file manager.

rolnics
December 9th, 2010, 10:01 AM

I'm so glad I read the forums today, just for this link!

I'm an mc user as well, didn't know about it until I installed Debian on my nslu2, its a god send, just like that link! Cheers!

Sean Moran
December 9th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I used mc as a mainstay of everything right up until the Mandrake 10 days back in 2007, but it's one thing I've neglected to keep in the mix since graduating to Ubuntu. I just had a quick look over the Software Centre for 'midnight' and no mc listed there, but Gnome Commander got a mention. I have that onboard, but only for some newfangled thing that my webhosts have known as webdav. Just somethng I could use Gnome Commander for as an alternative to FTP, although I'm fairly happy with Filezilla's layout and structure anyway.

I might have a look around and see if I can't obtain an mc.deb file somewhere, because it would be a bit of a blast-from-da-past to include mc in the distros, just for old time's sake.

Spice Weasel
December 9th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I used mc as a mainstay of everything right up until the Mandrake 10 days back in 2007, but it's one thing I've neglected to keep in the mix since graduating to Ubuntu. I just had a quick look over the Software Centre for 'midnight' and no mc listed there, but Gnome Commander got a mention. I have that onboard, but only for some newfangled thing that my webhosts have known as webdav. Just somethng I could use Gnome Commander for as an alternative to FTP, although I'm fairly happy with Filezilla's layout and structure anyway.

I might have a look around and see if I can't obtain an mc.deb file somewhere, because it would be a bit of a blast-from-da-past to include mc in the distros, just for old time's sake.

sudo apt-get install mc

Sean Moran
December 9th, 2010, 10:33 AM
sudo apt-get install mc
:D:D:D

That simple! Thanks mate. Why didn't I think of that?

Need to get 2,153kB of archives. After this operation, 6,443kB of additional disk space will be used.(...and it's not even Christmas yet either! :popcorn:)

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
December 9th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Confirming I regularly use mc on all my X-less installs.