PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Setting up PXE Server on Windows 7 / Ubuntu 10.04

Smartflight
December 3rd, 2010, 03:03 PM
I got this laptop that's 3 years old. Previously, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 (32-bit) using a bootable CD. Occasionally, Ubuntu would freeze and I did not know of a way to safe-shutdown. Everytime it froze, I simply did a hard-shutdown.
And there we go. This hard-shutdown damaged the OS.

Anyway, I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 (64-bit) and burned a CD. Magic! Laptop won't read the CD. Boot is far ahead, it's just not reading it at all! Looked around, found that setting up a PXE server is my last hope. The guides? They weren't nice to read. What I'm looking for is to set up a PXE server on the PC (running Windows 7 / Ubuntu 10.04 dual-boot) and boot from the PC through the PXE server.

I have downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop AMD64 ISO.

Help would be appreciated here. If you could point me to reliable links, and stuff, that would be okay. But the reason I came here is because I'm a total noob at this PXE thingy and I'd need a specific guide to make it through.

Smartflight
December 4th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Alright guys, I would really appreciate some help here.
My net stays down for 24 hours+ these days, and comes back for 2 hours (like now) and music is my rescue. I can't always be doing that on my brother's PC.

Smartflight
December 12th, 2010, 08:25 AM
That is rude.
No mercy for someone who wants to install Ubuntu?

I also have openSUSE installed right now. My laptop "accidentally" read the CD that was in, and I thought, one OS better that none.

Any workarounds?