PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Issues copying large files to external HD via USB

earlycj5
December 3rd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Hi all,
I've got a strange problem.

I'm trying to copy large files, >1gb, to my external EXT4 hard drive via USB.

I can move smaller files with no problems, but it seems to choke on large files giving me this error.

cp: writing `/media/blah/blah': Read-only file system large files

I know it's not read only. My login has read/write permissions on it and I confirmed that I was able to move smaller files, ~2 to 20mb in size to this disk.

earlycj5
December 5th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Anyone have any ideas?

I've found out that I can rip DVDs directly to it, writing the file to the disk, but still cannot copy these types of files from my internal HD to the external drive.

DaithiF
December 5th, 2010, 10:30 PM
most likely there are some errors on the disk, when this happens linux will remount the drive as read-only to avoid causing further damage to an already damaged filesystem.

assuming this is a fat or ntfs (ie. windows filesystem), then try run some disk check / repairs in windows.

or you can try running fsck on the drive from linux.

one other possibility -- fat(32) has a 4gb filesize limit -- are your files larger than this? I don't think this would cause a readonly-remount so I suspect its the first suggestion, but worth a mention just in case.

earlycj5
December 5th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Hi all,
I've got a strange problem.

I'm trying to copy large files, >1gb, to my external EXT4 hard drive via USB.

assuming this is a fat or ntfs (ie. windows filesystem), then try run some disk check / repairs in windows.

Not that I don't appreciate the advice, but I'm assuming you didn't read my post either...

DaithiF
December 5th, 2010, 11:05 PM
sorry, i missed that (obviously!)

still, the problem remains the same ... filesystem errors causing the filesystem to be remounted as readonly. if you check dmesg or /var/log/messages when it happens you'll see some errors occurring. try fsck'ing the (unmounted) drive partition to identify / repair the errors.

earlycj5
December 5th, 2010, 11:08 PM
sorry, i missed that (obviously!)

still, the problem remains the same ... filesystem errors causing the filesystem to be remounted as readonly. if you check dmesg or /var/log/messages when it happens you'll see some errors occurring. try fsck'ing the (unmounted) drive partition to identify / repair the errors.

fsck.ext4 returns this:

disklabel: clean, 27575/30531584 files, 49336535/122096000 blocks

I suspect you're onto something, I'll check the log files to see what I can find.