PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] please help- troubles with compiz (I think)

zvi
December 2nd, 2010, 08:58 PM
Ive been running an emerald therme in compiz for z few months now and everything was running fine when a couple days ago VLC started acting weird and playing little staticky clicks avrery few seconds.

Then the next time I booted up after an initial second of flashing my full desktop the screen blanked off a section on the left and bottom of my screen. When I logged in docky told me it was having trouble with the compositing, but when I scrolled over the spot where my docks are they were there. My arrow can be seen in the black areas as can the start panel when I scroll over it, but aside from that it is black and when I open I window the blackness covers it in that part. None of my compiz effects seem to be working.

I am running a pretty basic motherboard and I know basically nothing about this kind of thing but I looked up the built in integrated video card online : ATI Radeon™ HD3000 Graphics, On Board Graphic Max. Memory Share Up to 512 MB.

I have an ATI driver installed but when I look at my drivers it says it is installed but not currently in use. When I look at my visual effects page it is on none, so I tried changing it to normal and it says the effects can't be enabled.

I am running a dual boot with windows and when I go into windows there doesn't seem to be any problems.

I am running a Biostar A760G M2+, an AMD AthlonII x4 and running Ubuntu 10.04

Any help figuring this out would be greratly appreaciated,

Zvi

gogolink
December 2nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
One tool that I have found useful in dealing with Compiz is a script called compiz-check (which you can find here (Thanks, Forlong!): http://forlong.blogage.de/entries/pages/Compiz-Check).

Perhaps you can run the script and post the output?

zvi
December 2nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks. I ran that and it says I have no rendering method.
I don't know what to do about that (or what it means actually)

I am attaching the resulting terminal screenshot.

zvi
December 2nd, 2010, 09:56 PM
IM goign to try removing the driver and then reinstalling it. Could that help at all?

zvi
December 2nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Well, I reinstalled the driver and then needed to restart the computer. After doing so compiz still wasnt working, but then I reloaded the windows manager through the compiz fusion icon and its working again.

Thank you gogolink.

gogolink
December 2nd, 2010, 10:10 PM
There seem to have been some problems with ATI graphics cards and Compiz. I don't have ATI, but came across this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1362818, which could be interesting for you. For some of the posters, running the command aticonfig solved the problem (proposed by ashokmkd in post #14).

Oh sorry, I see your problem is solved... So you can disregard this last post (:

zvi
December 2nd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Actually, I just rebooted again and it seems my computer is still somehow starting up without running compiz properly and then I continually need to reload the windows manager. So its somewhat fixed, but not completely. I think Ill try your suggestion.

zvi
December 2nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
Hmm, I looked at that post. and tried doing compi-check again andf it is still telling me that there is no rendering method, even though I am using compiz while doing the test.

also I tried the Anticonfig and it keeps telling me "command not found"

gogolink
December 3rd, 2010, 03:30 AM
You did type "aticonfig" in your terminal, didn't you -- not "anticonfig" (as you write in your post)? Just checking.

zvi
December 3rd, 2010, 10:31 AM
oh, wow, I cant believe I made that mistake. Well it worked when I wrote it properly.

IM not sure yet if it helped at all though.

Julitokenpo
April 3rd, 2011, 05:36 AM
Have you tried compiz-replace ????? It worked for me.....