PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Not updating after reinstall

Coach_Mark
December 2nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
i just did a reinstall of 9.10 and am having a few problems.

1. hardware drivers for the wireless modem are updated, but not functioning. the driver screen says it's activated, though.

2. when i do to install java (following the instructions at http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java), i get the following error: "mv: cannot stat"<file info and move to directory>"

what happened? and how do i fix it?

sikander3786
December 2nd, 2010, 08:36 PM
Please post the output of this command from Applications > Accessories > Terminal.

sudo apt-get update

Edit: I just had a look on the page you linked in your above post. Why don't you just install java from repositories i.e, System > Administration > Software Sources?

You need to activate the Multiverse Repos and then search Software Center for that or run this command.

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

Coach_Mark
December 2nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
i think i have java installed now. but, that still doesn't explain why the wireless modem driver not recognize anything? new problem, too. no matter what website i go to, i get a prompt for missing plugins. always the same three plugins. but, i have installed them. why is the installation not recognized?

sikander3786
December 2nd, 2010, 09:54 PM
Which plugins does it say missing?

Type this in your browser address bar and see what is installed and what not...

about:plugins

Not sure about wireless modem though. Better to start a new thread in Networking & Wireless sub-forum.

Coach_Mark
December 2nd, 2010, 10:06 PM
screen shot attached...

i have installed the plugins at least twice, but i still get that window at many websites. as you can see from the software driver window, it says the driver is installed and functioning., but the connections icon at the top lists no wireless connections and doesn't allow me to engage any.

and i'll start a thread in the wireless forum. thanks for that idea.

sikander3786
December 2nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
Try Flash-aid.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/161939/

Coach_Mark
December 2nd, 2010, 11:02 PM
i think that fixed. first thing it said was it was changing the installation to a 32-bit version. not sure how that happened. had 32-bit CD...downloaded the 32-bit Java...<sigh>...ah well...

THANKS!

(i think i got the wireless thing figured out too)

wilee-nilee
December 2nd, 2010, 11:11 PM
You might also consider that the end of life of support is about May 2011 with this distro.

Coach_Mark
December 3rd, 2010, 11:52 PM
yeah. but it was on hand...and i needed to re-install for various reasons. i'll be moving on up soon. :)