PDA

View Full Version : How to launch an additional application and add it to the launcher?

udippel
December 2nd, 2010, 09:32 AM
I run 10.10, netbook. Fine so far.
I don't manage to call an application that I added manually, though.
I have created a menu item, with all subdetails, a proper command, icon, everything. And I can see it in the menu editor, and it is there, even after a reboot.
But: How to launch it??
It never shows up under applications, it doesn't show up in Searches, I can't type it in. It does work fine, though, when I open a terminal and add the proper command. It then also shows in the launcher list (left column). But it can't make it 'stick' there, the right-click option does not show in this case.

Can anyone please tell me, how to *start* an application that I have added to the menu? Why would a menu item never show as an available application?

Thanks in advance,

Uwe

vanessa
December 22nd, 2010, 04:39 AM
I need help with something similar to this as well. The difference is that I'm trying an application that runs on Terminal.

I've followed the instructions from here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9910899&postcount=4) (create .desktop file, add to gconf and all that), but I still don't see my launcher on Unity.