PDA

View Full Version : Hacking is slowing down Open Source Software

Victoryofthepeople
December 2nd, 2010, 04:53 AM
I'm calling for your help, people.

I'm currently writing an essay about why is OSS so unpopular (in despite what everyone here might say, you can't say it actually IS popular). But then, it came to my mind!
The reason why OSS don't meet the sucess it should is not because of it's inferiority, of a badly designed interface, of lazy developpers or anything like that! No!

All of this is because of hacking!

Think about it for a moment. Photoshop is roughly 600 bucks. Yet, I can't cease to be amazed my how many people around me uses it! And not only that, but it's the same thing all over the internet! NO ONE buys photoshop, aside from those who are planning to use it for buisness, and that is probably the reason why GIMP users represent a minority nowadays.

The main argument about free software is it's freeness (aside from it's freedom). But remove the "price" aspect from the equation, and people will necessarely tend to go for Proprietary/Commercial software simply because:
A) There are more tutorials about it
B) Professionals use it
C) It inexplicably have more plugins than GIMP
D) Around the Internet, it seems like artworks done with Photoshop somehow always look better

And what's left after that to defent OSS?
Nothing. Nothing but your own moral.

But that's not my point.
That is just an idea, right?
What I'm really looking for is:
"Are there any reliable sources to prove that?"

Dustin2128
December 2nd, 2010, 04:56 AM
I assume you meant by hacking, piracy? Remember, hacker=someone who is good with computers and coding, hacking usually means coding in the present tense. Anyway, I'd have to agree that pirated software is crowding out FLOSS in some areas.

czr114
December 2nd, 2010, 05:07 AM
E) We are a consumer culture. The mainstream mode of thinking defaults to "buy" not "create" or "participate." When people need something, they go to a store, and look for what's being offered. The idea of adopting a community project after some research is totally alien to our society's mindset. This makes anti-FOSS FUD so effective, as the recipients of the FUD already have an instilled bias.

Ric_NYC
December 2nd, 2010, 05:36 AM
I'm calling for your help, people.

I'm currently writing an essay about why is OSS so unpopular (in despite what everyone here might say, you can't say it actually IS popular).

Just a comment:

Red Hat At $1 Billion

Based on the run rates of the current quarter, Red Hat will likely reach $1 billion in annual revenue in 2011. Only a handful of companies, probably less than 20 software firms, have ever hit this milestone. Red Hat will be the first open source-focused company to break the billion dollar barrier (Forbes)

Chronon
December 2nd, 2010, 06:20 AM
Please don't confuse hacking with piracy. There is no intrinsic link between them.

http://stallman.org/articles/on-hacking.html

Dr. C
December 2nd, 2010, 07:13 AM
Does the OP actually mean software piracy rather than "hacking"? I am confused.

Hwæt
December 2nd, 2010, 07:26 AM
Don't feed the trolls, guys. A guy registers this month, has zero posts, makes only this one, and asks a quasi-controversial topic with intentional poor wording.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn159/Captain802_Second/obvious_troll.jpg

mendhak
December 2nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
The entire argument is based on Photoshop representing the world of paid software... and Gimp representing the world of FOSS.

Maybe Hwaet is right.

beew
December 2nd, 2010, 09:39 AM
The main argument about free software is it's freeness (aside from it's freedom). But remove the "price" aspect from the equation, and people will necessarely tend to go for Proprietary/Commercial software simply because:
A) There are more tutorials about it
B) Professionals use it
C) It inexplicably have more plugins than GIMP
D) Around the Internet, it seems like artworks done with Photoshop somehow always look betterActually none of the above, just a basic fact about human psychology. Forbidden fruit is sweeter. If you get something for free which normally would cost $600, that mere fact would make you feel that you are getting away with a bargain too good to be true Nobody thinks of air as an essential resource because it is free and we take it for granted.

Paqman
December 2nd, 2010, 10:16 AM
despite what everyone here might say, you can't say it actually IS popular

Yeah, because nobody uses Apache or Firefox.

Spice Weasel
December 2nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
Nobody uses Apache, MySQL, Firefox, Audacity or Chromium.

Elfy
December 2nd, 2010, 10:51 AM
Closed - leave the troll to rot under the bridge